Discuss External Brick Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chloebear

Hi All,

I have a domestic client that has external brick lights in his garden wall. The wall lights keep letting in water and also the plastic rear casings disintergrate over a period of 18 months or so. I have replaced a number of these wall lights in the past, but it keeps happening. The main problem, apart from the water ingress & disintegration of the casings is that these are LED lights so when they leek the blow the tracking and short circuit.

Has anyone got any good ideas for making these things last and stop leaking etc??? apart from take them out and brick up the holes????????????

What is making them disintegrate? The cement mix?

Perhaps coat the plastic of the fitting in something of perhaps a plastic bag... (Obviously not if it blocks heat dissipation)

I'm going to make a wild guess (based on past experience!) that maybe the back casings aren't sitting quite true/flush and are therefore warping ever-so-slightly which is what's making the seals not work so well. If they just need extra waterproofing then use mastic around them / add to the seal.

Reply to External Brick Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I needs to install 7 external bulkhead lights, but I could do with a steer on bringing the cable into the light - see below The glass which came...
Replies
Views
For various reasons out of my control, we have wound up in a situation where we have 1.5mm SWA cables buried in these pillars and exiting out of...
Replies
Views
I am not an electrician but am looking for some advice as to how to fix my sporadic light flickering problem that has come and gone for the year...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock