Discuss Fancy Light Fittings, Holding Them Up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My customer today gave me three metal light fittings to install as replacements for existing roses. One had four heavy spot lamp housings for GU10's. Lesson learned, I have decided that next time I have one of these jobs I will rig up some kind of support wire from a screw in a joist to hold the fitting weight so I don't need hold the fitting with one hand and connect the terminals and other fiddly screws using the other single hand. Or get an apprentice, to hold the fitting.

Use an extension support prop or a plasterboard support prop.
If there is a flat surface you can loosely clamp it to the ceiling while you wire it, drill support holes, etc. or hook it onto the clip.
Invaluable.
extension prop.jpg

HandySparks, The stiff wire or gash length of 4mm copper yes. But the brackets just don't lend themselves to having a wire connected. That's why I think I'll just put a roundhead screw in somewhere. I use wago's a lot but not tried those the push to open ones. Thanks for the tip, I grab a few from the wholesalers.

Use an extension support prop or a plasterboard support prop.
If there is a flat surface you can loosely clamp it to the ceiling while you wire it, drill support holes, etc. or hook it onto the clip.
Invaluable.
View attachment 26665

Nice one Richard. I like it!! :yes:

The added bonus of course is it can be used as a clothes prop on washing day to stop the legs of yer Granny's drawers trailing on the ground while they're drying on the claes line. :)

what i do is fit a cable tie round the bracket when fixing it to ceiling, hang the fitting on the tie, then cut tie out after wiring up.

In order to get a secure footing for that sort of weight, you would be best to insert a wooden batten, approx 20cm long, 3cm wide, into the cavity where your cable runs out of ( you may need to widen the cavity in order to get the batten in.)
Once inserted you should secure it to the ceiling plasterboard using screws, toward each end of the batten. You now have a very secure anchor point, and the surface area is distributed nicely.
Remember to drill pilot holes into the wood (so as not to split) and beware of screwing into your cable.
Hope this helps.

In order to get a secure footing for that sort of weight, you would be best to insert a wooden batten, approx 20cm long, 3cm wide, into the cavity where your cable runs out of ( you may need to widen the cavity in order to get the batten in.)
Once inserted you should secure it to the ceiling plasterboard using screws, toward each end of the batten. You now have a very secure anchor point, and the surface area is distributed nicely.
Remember to drill pilot holes into the wood (so as not to split) and beware of screwing into your cable.
Hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum! Daz

Reply to Fancy Light Fittings, Holding Them Up in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net