Discuss Faulty Radio Teleswitch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is there a way to visually tell a faulty teleswitch as in the following pic? Is there a way they can fail 'closed', so that Off peak is always enegised?

Meter Timeswitch.jpg

Quoting on a small job for an elderly couple today, who also asked while I was there about their Economy 7 as their bill had recently gone up and they'd noticed the immersion was on during the day.

Checked and their whole separate Off-peak board appeared to be live at 5pm. I know economy 10 can be on at that time occasionally, but as far as they knew they'd always been on Economy 7.

They have a radio teleswitch and nothing physical has been changed recently - although they have switched to Octopus Energy. When their monthly bill went up they asked them to check the meter and were told no-one was available to do that :rolleyes:

Am I missing anything in the picture? All appears to be wired correctly - obviously the meter seals are missing, but this is an elderly couple in a retirement flat, and no obvious weed farms in the attic!

Is the Off/On red indicator bottom right of the timeswitch supposed to change as it switches?

Any ideas on what to suggest to them, apart from badgering Octopus to actually check what is legally their equipment?

Is there a statutory requirement reg I can get them to quote at Octopus? I did think mentioning the seal being missing might encourage a visit.

IMO, get the energy suppler out, and get the meter changed to a E7 integral meter (telswitch built in meter), it has fallen out of sync with the radio mast, are you sure its not E10.

IMO, get the energy suppler out, and get the meter changed to a E7 integral meter (telswitch built in meter), it has fallen out of sync with the radio mast, are you sure its not E10.
I'm not sure no, though they didn't believe so - seems more likely that it's fallen out of sync, but they are struggling to get the energy supplier to do anything about it

I have a customer with a failed teleswitch, which is permanently on, heating the immersion 24hrs. It is going to be changed, but the lead time is about 6 weeks plus to get this done, as the supplier surprisingly seems to now have a bit of a backlog of work.

I have a customer with a failed teleswitch, which is permanently on, heating the immersion 24hrs. It is going to be changed, but the lead time is about 6 weeks plus to get this done, as the supplier surprisingly seems to now have a bit of a backlog of work.
Sounds like the case here too - though Octopus just said no-one could do it, rather than give a lead time.

Given it's all electric heating, that might be an issue come the winter - but I'll have to tell them to keep pushing until something is done - or fit a separate timer on the immersion...

I had a hotel once with electric heating, The off peak was on 24/7 due to a fault with the metering equipment. The thermal links kept going in the storage heaters.

Reply to Faulty Radio Teleswitch? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net