Discuss Fcu behind kitchen taps in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Grezza

-
Reaction score
alright guys,

Just seeking some advise. I don't want to go into the long ins and outs of the job so I'll just give you the basics.

2nd hand kitchen has been first and second fixed but they didn't bother doing the electrics before hand so half the kitchen appliances are in powered around the kitchen.

Managed to find a fcu feeding a loose Patrice with then feeds single socket for washing machine and power to external light.

Was planning on coming off this to feed another double socket for has hob on other side of kitchen.

Problem is the fcu is right behind the taps of kitchen sinks.

Question is, am I ok to use this fcu feed to do my work? How responsible am I that the existing fcu lies there even tho I will be piggy backing off what ever it feeds.

By the way, access and option are very limited, so trying to do the best / safest job without ripping out entire kitchen.

Your responsibility is to ensure any work you undertake is safe, and the circuit you intend altering / extending is safe also, up to you I guess, myself, I would try and re site the fcu, blank it off and feed your install in some other way, just saying.

Hi - I would try v hard to add a new feed, perhaps across ceiling and down, rather than add a hob load to an existing loaded fcu. But I may not have understood correctly :) .
The fcu behind the taps is IP rated? If it's not properly rated then you shouldn't extend off it for that reason, would be my thought.

I agree,that if you consider it a worry - and you must do,to have posted - then an attempt to make it safer,should be made.
Your customer's haste or poor planning,should not cause yourself,any future concerns.

Depending on the height above sink,it would be in a favourable place,to get the back wash off a rinsed tray or pan...if it looks like it could happen,over the life of the kitchen,it probably will.

A neat blanking plate,and a re-connection,under the back of the unit,would be best.
You are going to be doing as much joinery,as electrical work,but tell the customer,you are trying to put the missing underwear,on a bride,after the wedding dress has been fitted.

If they miss the humour,in that analogy,your bill isn't going to make them laugh ;)

You can get a suitably rated spur for use in that situation. The obvious danger being water. IP55 at screwfix. Bit concerned about a spur then two double sockets also feeding external light though. Maybe new supply to light from upstairs? The potential load sounds high for the proposed extension of the spur. If there is a double socket there is also the temptation to plug other things in increasing potential load. I would not be very happy signing that off as it sounds like a bit of a mess/bodge up. I think I would walk away from that or advise the client to extend the ring main to take account of the load/requirements. If I understand correctly you are proposing to have a washing machine (3Kw?) and a hob (3Kw?) on a 13a fuse? with the possibility of further loads? Bearing in mind MK say their double sockets are rated to 13a (not 26a)

Thanks for the response guys.

I have decided to through crimp and heat shrink the cables and turn the below socket into a fcu and come off that.

I'm not really happy that there is a good few items coming off the fcu but everything seems to be of a low power consumption so don't think it will be a problem.

Not overly happy with the layout and function of it all but it will work and it's safe.

Cheers again folks

Reply to Fcu behind kitchen taps in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net