Discuss Moving boiler socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tinyspark

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to move the existing socket that feeds the boiler down to where I've pencilled in that can be seen on the photo. The socket to the left isn't doing anything so I was thinking of blanking this off. The reason for moving the socket is I'm building a larder cupboard around the boiler and washing maching to fit with the rest of the kitchen units on the other side.

Question is do I need to keep the fused socket or can I put a blanking plate over this once I've terminated the wires. If terminating the wires how would I achieve this. Also to extend the socket that feeds the boiler would I just use choc blocks and add a cable to this or would wago boxes be my best bet.

TIA
boiler socket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know about wiring "safe zones".

Is the wall solid, where you would have the cables chased into the surface, or is the wall stud-work, where the cables can be deeper than 50mm? That rather dictates where the FCU might end up.

If you are going to drill into the wall when fitting the larder, bear in mind there are likely wires in the wall above (and/or below, or horizontally) from those outlets.

Is safe zones relating to being vigilant about where the wires are running i.e. horizontal or vertical from said socket? The wall is solid so it would be SDS or grinder and chisel combo.

Safe zones are about where you are allowed to put the wires.
Your suggested route does not meet the regulations.
If you leave the old position with a cover plate over it, you could put your new outlet horizontally to the left, above the stop valve with the black handle (but pipes are in the way for chasing!)

If you can run the cable in plastic trunking on the surface, that would be OK

The lines drawn in pencil were done by a qualified electrician who came round to give me a quote.

What's confusing me is there are 2 cables coming from above; one's a white cable into the left socket and the other's a grey cable coming into the right i.e. boiler socket. The 2 sockets have then been connected by wires. I've taken photos to try and show what I mean. Confused as to why they are connected?

Attachments

• sockets1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 20
  • sockets2.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 20
I misunderstood.
I can't see the wiring clearly enough to work out exactly what's happening, but it looks as if power, eg from a ring red and black, is fed to the right hand fused connection unit, may also be connected to the left hand fused spur (by the small piece of white cable between the boxes), and then the output of that fused spur on the left goes off (up the wall?) to somewhere else, meaning the wire on the left is feeding something, it's not power coming in. That could be checked by looking at whether the wire running up the wall on the left is connected to the outgoing terminals of the fuse plate.
it's possible they are both doing a job supplying power at the moment.

If you think the left hand fuse is redundant, you could try taking out the fuse and seeing if anything stops working!

Did the electrician who's giving you the quote look to see what the two fuses were doing - is it he who suggested they are not both needed, as the pencil lines indicate the two accessories are to be replaced by one.

The cable coming down into the right box which is feeding the boiler is white and the cable coming down into the left box is grey. These are connected by the white cable as seen in the photos. The electrician suggested to blank off the left box and continue the cable from the right box to where he pencilled in just under the boiler. Not sure why they'd be connected by the white cable? There's an external light above the upstairs bathroom which doesn't work anymore so could be feeding that?

The electrician quoted me £90 to move the socket which would involve chasing the wall out. I've left voicemails to agree to the work but he hasn't got back to me which is why I'm on here as need to finish the larder cupboard. Your suggestion of running the cable in plastic trunking on the surface makes sense as a wall mounted socket isn't a problem as it will be enclosed in the larder cupboard anyway. It will mean less mess as well.

Sorry I'm not being clear.
My suggestion is that maybe power is coming down the white cable on the right, (powering the the boiler via the RH fuse) but the white cable continues the supply between the boxes to the fuse on the left, and the grey cable is wired to the OUTPUT of the fuse on the left, so the power is being fed UP the cable on the left to something else.
Just because the wire comes down the wall doesn't necessarily mean that wire starts at the fuseboard. It might be going to supply power to the heating wiring centre for example.
It's just a suggestion that you shouldn't just disconnect the grey wire without understanding what it's doing!
That's why I suggested taking out the fuse on the left (or maybe there's not one in there!), just to check that nothing goes off!

You need to be sure where the power is coming from - is it the white wire (my guess) or is it the grey wire? It should not be both!

Edit: I see there are three red wires at the back of the RH fuse, suggesting that one is on a ring circuit, and is the supply of power, suggesting the other fuse is providing a fused supply to something else. Is there a socket circuit or lighting being fed from it?

Last edited:
seems to be a big song and dance over this one guys, this is bottom basement stuff and seriously I cannot believe one the thread was put up and two it got some answers, IMO if this needs answering then the OP should not be touching this, please Tinyspark, consult an Electrician and have a great day

Reply to Moving boiler socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net