Discuss Gas boiler on RCD but also connected to other wall outlets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and sockets.

We moved to the UK two years ago (wife was born here) and I am aware of the 240 volt system that's used throughout the UK.

I let a flat and with landlord's permission, I was conducting a simple mapping of the circuit breaker box on the 20-year old flat.

But this is when I noticed that his newer gas boiler is connected to the same RCD breaker as all eight (8) dual-gang wall sockets in the reception room and hall. Two of those sockets are powering a desktop computer and TV most of the day, maybe only drawing 30 amps.

Is this permissible or a problem to have the reception room wall sockets on the same circuit as the boiler. And is it typical to have reception room wall sockets on a RCD circuit breaker?

This is what's connected to the 80 amp RCD-protected breaker side.

80 amp RCD >
#1 (32 amp breaker): Dishwasher, washing machine, oven, refrigerator, two dual kitchen wall sockets;
#2 (32 amp breaker): Gas boiler, eight (8) dual wall sockets

To me, it would seem the reception wall sockets should/could be on their own breaker on the non-RCD side. There's plenty of room for them.

So just wondering what the general consensus is before I ring an electrician.

Best,

Frank

There are various regulations that specify what should be on an rcd, and nowadays, it’s simpler just to put everything on them rather than not.

It’s not necessarily what is on the circuit (sockets or lights etc) but how the cable is routed. (Buried in wall to a depth less than 2 inches)

No problem with boiler off same circuit as sockets.

Thank you for your reply and clarification. The building is an 8-floor flat built around 2001. Wires run between hollow walls and overhead in ceiling behind drywall. Sheathed twin and ground.
Best.

Hi,

I have lifetime experience (50+ years) in United States with basic knowledge of split phase 120/240 volts replacing wall switches and sockets.

We moved to the UK two years ago (wife was born here) and I am aware of the 240 volt system that's used throughout the UK.

I let a flat and with landlord's permission, I was conducting a simple mapping of the circuit breaker box on the 20-year old flat.

But this is when I noticed that his newer gas boiler is connected to the same RCD breaker as all eight (8) dual-gang wall sockets in the reception room and hall. Two of those sockets are powering a desktop computer and TV most of the day, maybe only drawing 30 amps.

Is this permissible or a problem to have the reception room wall sockets on the same circuit as the boiler. And is it typical to have reception room wall sockets on a RCD circuit breaker?

This is what's connected to the 80 amp RCD-protected breaker side.

80 amp RCD >
#1 (32 amp breaker): Dishwasher, washing machine, oven, refrigerator, two dual kitchen wall sockets;
#2 (32 amp breaker): Gas boiler, eight (8) dual wall sockets

To me, it would seem the reception wall sockets should/could be on their own breaker on the non-RCD side. There's plenty of room for them.

So just wondering what the general consensus is before I ring an electrician.

Best,

Frank
230 volt. Also although it would be good if the boiler was on it's own circuit, there is nothing wrong with it being on a ring main in the house, this is common throughout the UK, personally I prefer it on it's own circuit but it isn't always the norm.

No need for a gas boiler to be on its own circuit.

All socket outlets up to and including 32A (which are commercial, not domestic) are required to be 30mA RCD protected.

By the sounds of it you are looking at a perfectly good installation. The sockets are not coming off the boiler, the boiler is being fed from the sockets circuit and most likely via a 3A fuse.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Gas boiler on RCD but also connected to other wall outlets in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net