Discuss Feed to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

We always wire feed to switch because if there start with a pendent light then change there mind cus women seen a nice light hard to make off all the cables in the space give!

I was aked once to remove an intermediate two way two gang switch and leave it two way, I think three guys with differant slants wired it up, still have bad dreams over it.
Pict

As most sparky's will know, you can buy standard plastic 6amp DP light switches which will fit standard plaster depth boxes.
Whilst i was brought up using the 3 plate system.....the industry has moved on..nothing wrong with taking the feed to the light switch at all. In fact I think a great many sparky's now do it this way.

Personally I do it both ways!

Just doing a small barn to granny flat conversion and everything is wired as radial circuits via the switch or back to the consumer unit as there is no where to run cables due to pitched, exposed, ceiling, exposed old beams, windows to the eves etc. I have drilled so many holes for cables through the timbers of the only stud wall that there is not much left and I used the full 150mm safe zone on one wall with cables as well as two other safe zones on the same wall. It has been a right pain I could have rewired a house faster.

But back to the OP, there is nothing wrong with wiring from the switch and it is sometimes the best way. With all the new fancy dimmers, home automation, etc having a neutral at the switch can be an advantage. Ask him for an opinion on domestic radials, sounds as if you may have some fun.

I always run through the switch, I prefer standing on the ground 2nd fixing my connections in a switch than on steps with my arms above my head making off more cables than I have to.

Personally I do it both ways!

Just doing a small barn to granny flat conversion and everything is wired as radial circuits via the switch or back to the consumer unit as there is no where to run cables due to pitched, exposed, ceiling, exposed old beams, windows to the eves etc. I have drilled so many holes for cables through the timbers of the only stud wall that there is not much left and I used the full 150mm safe zone on one wall with cables as well as two other safe zones on the same wall. It has been a right pain I could have rewired a house faster.

But back to the OP, there is nothing wrong with wiring from the switch and it is sometimes the best way. With all the new fancy dimmers, home automation, etc having a neutral at the switch can be an advantage. Ask him for an opinion on domestic radials, sounds as if you may have some fun.

Ohh!! ............. Kinky!! :ihih:

Reply to Feed to switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net