Discuss Figure of 8 to kettle adaptor for Plasma TV needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not sure if they will exist I'm afraid as you would be able to plug in a device that requires earthing via a connection with no earth cable - that's extremely dangerous.

their used for pat testing....
to the O/P...look on the side of the equipment you want to feed of this....see of its got double or reinforced insulation....it should have a symbol of 2 squares...one inside the other....
so then you wont need a CPC...would you ovengloves

to the O/P...look on the side of the equipment you want to feed of this....see of its got double or reinforced insulation....it should have a symbol of 2 squares...one inside the other....

What would be the point of them for PAT testing?

Obviously a Class II appliance won't be subject to an earth bond and an insulation test is conducted between live conductors connected together to Earth. So can't see what an insulation test would achieve in this instance.

No, but the fact remains the connection the OP seeks is intrinsically dangerous to the unskilled and I suspect for this reason this type of connector does not exist EDIT - from hi-fi shops etc. And for what is worth, my main TV is class I.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be the point of them for PAT testing?

Obviously a Class II appliance won't be subject to an earth bond and an insulation test is conducted between live conductors connected together to Earth. So can't see what an insulation test would achieve in this instance.
yep..i see your point.....
i`m just going by what i`v seen them advertised as on ebay and the like....
you can get just the plug adaptor

Sorry Glenn, I edited my post to clarify that I didn't think you could get what the OP wanted from a hi-fi / electronics store (due to potential danger in unskilled hands). I did believe you when you said they were available for PAT (in fact, I'm sure I read it somewhere recently also) :smile:
its allrite...no probs....
just caus i come across as a bit spiteful....doesn`t mean thats how i`m being really...lol...
just my `typing fashion`....lol...

Unfortunately I don't have the new TV unit yet... I wanted to work out if this would be possible for me, being an electrical layman, before purchasing it.

Thanks everyone. So in summary, I'm not going to be able to do this without getting an electrician in? Maybe I will just need to stick with an LCD/LED TV...

If it's double insulated (square within a square symbol, as advised above by someone), then cut the existing plug off the cable (tv end!) and fit an IEC type connector. These are easily available with screw terminals/cable grips. Only if it's double insulated though. Daz

make one lol.

I thought it was just me did that.......................I've got a bag full of every permutation of test lead for Pat testing all made up.
Doubt any of it is legal mind:innocent:
dont have to be Allan....
their for testing purposes only...
look at these for instance:

$(KGrHqFHJE!FElNEch)EBRNcEfG)og~~60_35.jpg

you wouldn`t normally use this to provide discrimination between RCDs as the earth is connected to the neutral secondry side....
just for testing purposes only

Thanks everyone. So in summary, I'm not going to be able to do this without getting an electrician in? Maybe I will just need to stick with an LCD/LED TV...
On my answer the US is a link to the item you want, not sure if they will ship to UK or how much it would cost, it also says rated at 125V so take care. From the website you linked to you can purchase a figure 8 to clover leaf adpater and also a clover leaf to IEC plug adapter, using both of these will complete the function you need.
That said it is dangerous to supply a product requiring earthing using a non earthed supply as if there is a fault then the equipment can become life and cause a fatal shock.
Repeating the other posts check for the double insulated symbol Double insulated.jpgon the new TV and then this would be safe to connect.

Preferably replace your existing power supply cord with an IEC power cord that are cheap and easy to obtain and would be safe.

Reply to Figure of 8 to kettle adaptor for Plasma TV needed! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net