Discuss Fire alarm cabling student accommodation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all!

I’m working on a new build student accommodation block wiring for fire alarm.

I have been instructed to use perforated banding as containment across the stud walls above the ceilings as they won’t allow us to put any containment up. Now this to me feels a bit dog rough.

Can anybody shed some light on this if it is even allowed?

Thanks in advance

Cable fixings for fire alarm cables should have the same or better fire protection as the cable. Ask to see proof of this.

Dropping loops of banding from a concrete ceiling to support the cable between the studs would work. Use concrete screws, not wood screws and plastic plugs, to ensure the fixings don't let go in a fire.
Theres too much over thomking now a days with fixings, if the fire is hot enough to cause the plugs to release the scree from thr concrete the fire is going to was out of control by then and the least of the worries of anyone in there will be some loose dangling cables as everything else will be in the way too that os fixed too a wall in that way.

I have to disagree; two firefighters and a member of the public died in the Harrow Court fire due to entanglement with electrical cables; not some other part of the building fabric. Do you really not care about your work and the impact it has on others?

I have to disagree; two firefighters and a member of the public died in the Harrow Court fire due to entanglement with electrical cables; not some other part of the building fabric. Do you really not care about your work and the impact it has on others?
How was it originally contained?

Was that specifically through the failure of plastic real plugs or was it trunking, clips, cable ties etc which failed?

It is not a case of not caring, it is a case of understanding what is or is not a risk.

I believe the bre have carried out tests specifically on fixings of supports in light of the Harrow Court and other incidents. They found the use of plastic wall plugs to be inappropriate in these situations and all metal fixing would be best used. Something like Dewalts wall dogs (other brands are available).

I believe the bre have carried out tests specifically on fixings of supports in light of the Harrow Court and other incidents. They found the use of plastic wall plugs to be inappropriate in these situations and all metal fixing would be best used. Something like Dewalts wall dogs (other brands are available).
You got a copy of the report to back this up?

Reply to Fire alarm cabling student accommodation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net