• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Fire rated downlight - How to tell? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Doing an EICR today, in a multi occupied house, I was chatting to the landlord advising him to get fire rated downlights in the celar bedroom thinking the existing ones weren't such. I then showed him in the toolstation catalogue options for them - to come across one new fitting which doesn't look fire rated but is stated as such. This thus made me wonder whether the existing ones were indeed non fire rated...
Has anyone come across these kind from toolstation (cat no. 58865 https://www.toolstation.com/integral-led-evofire-ip65-fire-rated-downlight/p58865) and if so can you tell me if there is any distinguising feature that lets you know they are fire rated (other than a sticker, which I'm going to go back to check)?
Fire rated downlight - How to tell? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

If you pull the downlight out of the ceiling there will be a sticker/label on the fitting to say it's fire rated and any replacement should also be fire rated.

if it's fire rated it will have a seal round the back side of the bezel.

Cellar bedroom, wonder if there is a large window to escape out of if there is a fire?

No problem,
It'll fill with water when the Fire Brigade put the fire out upstairs..
Or maybe it's got a protected exit corridor, with a bike leaning up against the wall..

If your cutting dirt great big holes in a plasterboard ceiling, one installed to protect the structural installation, then you have to repair your dalliance with suitable reparation. :)

All right for you less uneducated all sorts; chop a hole in a plasterboard ceiling it needs filling back to its original being. Whether thats access for a cable, or a hole for a light.

that fitting is fire rated glass ,why are you telling the land lord to change the fittings .
Cheers guys. I wasn't after any info on whether / how / when fire rated lights should be put in, and I didn't tell the landlord he had to replace them but rather while chatting and inspecting the downlights I told him it's advisable to have fire rated downlights in when people live above etc, I've never threatened or frightened a customer in my life and never will. I told him I wanted to investigate and get back to him. The point of my question was, having looked at the downlights they seemed to be of a non fire rated construction (and I couldn't see any obvious labels to indicate either way), but having seen the ones in my question which don't look fire rated either I began to wonder if there is a definative way of telling (other than a label). From what I gather (thanks teletex / anthonybrag) it is down to the glass and a seal. Alas neither of which tells you what fire rating the light is. So is it a case of if in doubt advise change - or - turn a blind eye? Incidentally I've noticed since several downlights elsewhere unlabelled.
In any event the landlord did is own research and spoke to 'his people' and has decided to replace them :cool:

Hi Captain - I only take the manufacturer's declaration as being reliable. Otherwise from me it's "Sorry, but I don't know what approvals these downlights have...". If I'm supplying downlights (that will be cut into the ceiling) they'll be fire rated :) .

Reply to Fire rated downlight - How to tell? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back