Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Fire Rated LED down lights in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

I know this gets done to death, but just some light debate (see what I did there!).

Been fervent installer of JCC FGLED down lights, mainly because of push fit connections and ten year warranty. I have used some other manufacturers, Scolmore Inceptor, but mainly JCC.

However, recently my wholesaler has decided to stop stocking the FGLED6, because of failures. I've just used some Hybrid 9's, which were ok, but they being like the FGLED 10's are limited to no's on circuit and a bit pricey, so I'm looking for new manufacturers (didn't like the look of the Hybrid 7 lense).

My wholesaler stocks the Enlite E5 & 8, but another sparks told be they are a bit awkward to terminate.

What's your preferred weapon of choice?

2. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

I use ECO600's made by Eco-star, they're top notch kit and pretty reasonable on price

3. Midwest

4. davesparks

They have a separate driver which comes pre-wired to a plug and socket connection similar to the click flow connector. They do the usual tilt, anti glare versions, emergency packs and suchlike.
    They also produce an adaptor plate to fit them in to bigger holes from old eyeball fittings which I've found quite useful.

They also aren't generally available online, so if a customer wants to check the price they have to ask an electrical wholesalers. This way you know that the customer can't find them cheaper online and try to knock your price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Midwest

You sly old dog :) The only issue for me, is I see the drivers not coverable with insulation, which would be an issue for me, 'cos I mainly do kitchen and bathroom refurbs. Need a singular product. Thanks for the recommendation.

Done it a friggin again, defno need that drink :oops:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  6. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

They look good DS especially the designed and produced in the UK bit.

7. davesparks

The company was set up by photon star who make commercial LED lighting to produce smaller, lower priced products to compete in the domestic/small commercial type market.

I've been using them for around 6years and never yet had a failure,

• Like Like x 1
  8. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Electrician's Arms

I don't do much of this stuff but have kept the download because you never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

I use ksr qr10 which are similar in style to the ones davesparks linked to.
    They do a colour selectable model too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sam400

sam400 Regular EF Member

I ve fitted quite a few E5 and E8s, there decent fittings that can be covered in insulation.
    Install is slightly fiddly at 1st but does gets quicker.
    Not quite as fast as a JCC!

11. davesparks

Are any drivers suitable to be covered with insulation? Personally I wouldn't do it, they get hot when they operate and work best when they are cool.

12. Midwest

They look good as well Andy, its just the issue with the driver and insulation.

13. Midwest

The likes of JCC etc, are permitted to be covered with insulation. Their drivers are integral with the luminaire, and the design of it allows for air space around them to keep them cooler, allegedly!

[​IMG]

14. Midwest

Ok, that's what my sparks chum alluded to. See the lumen output compare to;
    E5 to FGLED 3, E8 to FGLED 6 (ish) .

15. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

For a fitting with integrated driver, the ansell orbio 360 are pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Midwest

Still needs a 50mm air gap :(

17. jackhammerJIM

jackhammerJIM Regular EF Member

The E8 and E5 from enlite has a new push in connector which makes them a lot easier to connect than the old version which hurt your thumb after a few .

• Like Like x 1
  18. Midwest

19. anthonybragg

anthonybragg Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    CHARLTEC ELECTRICAL LTD
    It seems like you like fitting these JCC fittings have you raised your concerns with them. We fit a lot of LED fittings all top makes Thorn, Thorlux, Sylvania etc. and always get some fittings stop working mainly driver. So it seems that even paying the inflated prices for these lights (£290 for LED fitting) you still have ones that fail and they only give year guarantee from day of purchase.

20. Midwest

As an e.g. fitted some JCC 6's for a mate. One went in a bathroom, flickering. Replaced it (removed insulation above, not near joist etc), things gone again 6mths later. Will check the batch code, apparently a lot manufactured late 2014 were the problem.

I don't vast quantities, but some that fit hundreds, are fed up with the high turn over failure rate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Collingwood H2 pro with insulation cap or if insulation isn't a problem Collingwood H2 Lite.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Midwest

Did install some of those a customer provided. I know Collingwood is known for their quality products, but it did seem just an also ran IMO?

23. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

don't get the last bit?

24. Midwest

Not quite sue I did as well Lee. Apart from the problems with the JCC DL, just seem to be a better quality fitting. Never been quite happy with the cage clamp on the JCC, but I thought the Collingwood was worse?