Discuss Fishing cable in ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Steve T

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I’d like to install some lights in a cabinet, and the easiest way to power them is from one of the downlights in the kitchen, so they would be switched on by the same switch as
the downlights. To run a cable from the downlight to the cabinet, the easiest way would be to fish it through the ceiling with a rod, under the joists (they run perpendicular to my cable route)as there is a gap between them and the plasterboard ceiling.

Would this be an acceptable method of running the cable in the ceiling?

It would be the easiest option as the floor above is carpeted and is t&g chipboard.
Thanks for any replies

Hi

I’d like to install some lights in a cabinet, and the easiest way to power them is from one of the downlights in the kitchen, so they would be switched on by the same switch as
the downlights. To run a cable from the downlight to the cabinet, the easiest way would be to fish it through the ceiling with a rod, under the joists (they run perpendicular to my cable route)as there is a gap between them and the plasterboard ceiling.

Would this be an acceptable method of running the cable in the ceiling?

It would be the easiest option as the floor above is carpeted and is t&g chipboard.
Thanks for any replies
In a word, Yes

how are you going to go "under the joists" , isn't the ceiling attached to the joists?

Apparently "there is a gap between them and the plasterboard ceiling."
Not sure how that comes about. Would love to see some pics.

how are you going to go "under the joists" , isn't the ceiling attached to the joists?

Apparently "there is a gap between them and the plasterboard ceiling."
Not sure how that comes about. Would love to see some pics.
Have you guys never seen a brandered ceiling? Joists run one way with 2'' x 1'' branders attached to the underside running perpendicular to joists, then plasterboard screwed to branders?

Have you guys never seen a brandered ceiling? Joists run one way with 2'' x 1'' branders attached to the underside running perpendicular to joists, then plasterboard screwed to branders?

I don't do domestic, so no.
Thanks for the explanation @streamer

I know what you mean always known as a counter cross baton, is this a Scottish saying assume it means the same.

Yes there are branders under the joists, which the plasterboard is attached to.

D1CAF341-8711-48AA-B392-DC16F3E4EEEF.png

....but, if it's perpendicular, its running vertically down the wall......or in the middle of the room, maybe?
Are we talking parallel, by any chance?

@ipf
perpendicular
ˌpəːp(ə)nˈdɪkjʊlə/
adjective
  1. 1.
    at an angle of 90° to a given line, plane, or surface or to the ground.
If they were parallel they would be going the same way. So if the joists are running east to west, the branders or cross batons are running north to south.
Just seen the photo....fair do's

Reply to Fishing cable in ceiling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net