Discuss Fishy Smell From Socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

DeadZone

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for a bit of input on a situation I have.

I have a single socket that started getting hot to the touch (even when not in use) and giving off the telltale fishy smell, upon opening up I could see some signs of arcing on the neutral so Ive bought a replacement socket and fitted it, it no longer seems to get hot to the touch, but if I get really close I can still detect the fishy smell.

Is it possible that the smell can just linger for a bit? or is this a sign of another issue that needs addressing? (one that I need to call an electrician for) - Im wondering if there is some cable damage that needs to be cut back or fully replaced.

If the wires had suffered thermal damage then they should have been cut back beyond this damage but yes the smell can linger.

Reactions: DPG
If the wires had suffered thermal damage then they should have been cut back beyond this damage but yes the smell can linger.
Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.

How easy is it to identify thermal damage to the wires? should it be immediately obvious? or does it require testing? The wires didnt appear to be soft or anything, they were still very firm and difficult to bend into place etc, no signs of melting on the insulation either.

The insulation may appear to be swollen for want of a better word and the shiny copper conductor discoloured.

Nice one thanks, very useful info, there was definitely no swelling of the insulation, the copper itself had a very light covering of charring but it came off as soon as I touched it, it was bright/shiny when I connected it back into the new socket.

Reply to Fishy Smell From Socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net