Discuss Fitting retro switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Been round to a mates this morning fitting these things. He bought them new, manufactured by Clipsal, from some online electrical store £150 quid!

Took a few photos to show you what I mean, and how fiddly they are.

13D1385A-4E52-42B1-B408-91FEFEB8BED9.jpeg

so there’s 2 x 1 gang and 1 x 2 gang to fit. Dark wooden surround, and a bag of fixings.

A1D8D7DD-9557-418E-A46E-40D3D5AC05B3.jpeg

Inside the switches, we have Common, 1way, 2way and Loop... so neutral has somewhere to be parked.

5B4A87F1-271B-485A-BC04-3713EF16F7D7.jpeg

545748E9-2D0E-49BE-866D-15FD311E6F00.jpeg

taped the switch wires, and replaced the live loop, the old bit was too short.

The fixings include a simple plastic bar with fixing hole

A couple photos didn’t come out great, too blurry.

C23E2ECF-3941-48B5-9D37-DC750D2A8D59.jpeg

The wooden surround is screwed to the plastic, which itself is fixed to the back box with regular 3.5mm screws
The switch is then screwed to the wood, no space for cable, so any length is pushed back into the box

3D9BC5FF-DB6F-41D4-936D-7F855177F5F0.jpeg

Finished.

This house is full of retro, antique or otherwise weird items.

look at this thread for examples.

Source URL: Follow on from retro switches thread - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/follow-on-from-retro-switches-thread.188832/

Attachments

• 7FB69AE5-5C65-465F-8F96-09F5479CC2B2.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2F05B7DC-AC8F-430C-A4B6-EBC89424095C.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Been round to a mates this morning fitting these things. He bought them new, manufactured by Clipsal, from some online electrical store £150 quid!

Took a few photos to show you what I mean, and how fiddly they are.

View attachment 59681
so there’s 2 x 1 gang and 1 x 2 gang to fit. Dark wooden surround, and a bag of fixings.

View attachment 59687
Inside the switches, we have Common, 1way, 2way and Loop... so neutral has somewhere to be parked.

View attachment 59682

View attachment 59683

taped the switch wires, and replaced the live loop, the old bit was too short.

The fixings include a simple plastic bar with fixing hole

A couple photos didn’t come out great, too blurry.

View attachment 59688

The wooden surround is screwed to the plastic, which itself is fixed to the back box with regular 3.5mm screws
The switch is then screwed to the wood, no space for cable, so any length is pushed back into the box

View attachment 59690
Finished.

This house is full of retro, antique or otherwise weird items.

look at this thread for examples.

Source URL: Follow on from retro switches thread - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/follow-on-from-retro-switches-thread.188832/
No where near as fiddly when you had to vut cable entries and drill holes tp feed the individual conductors through.

Seems my parent's house is becoming trendy again as it still has an original round Bakelite switch in the outside toilet!

Thankfully though on PVC cable from the 70s and not the original VIR wire!
[automerge]1595679113[/automerge]
Just to add, they do have an inside toilet as well. Scotland is not that backwards. At least not everywhere...

A hole in the ground! That were luxury when I were a lad!
you had a hole in the ground? what luxury. when i was a kid we had a bucket. me and sis had to take turns, walking 6 miles to empty it in the river every day, just to justify unicef's demands for £3 a month.

Reply to Fitting retro switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net