Discuss Flue Stack Lightning Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been told I need to provide lightning protection to a large flue stack which comes from the boiler into an exhaust fan and then up out the roof an sticks up an extra 4 meters out of a boiler room I have just wired but I'm not really sure about what's required. Does anyone have any experience in this respect? I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Don't think i've ever seen a boiler flue stack going up 4m above a roof!!! Even so, if your in a built up area with buildings much higher than your flue stack, it's unlikely you would need lightning protection in the UK... But see what Furse have to say, they are pretty good with their advice...

It's not really a standard boiler, it's a 1MW Biomass Boiler powered by stable litter with a 125kW Organic Rankine Cycle system which when the water temp reaches around 80c starts to heat a R245fa propane based refrigerant which has a low boiling point and forces it through a magnectic bearing turbine and exports the power back to the grid. the building is much higher than the surrounding buildings (the boiler itself is 2 storeys alone) and the flue stack stands out like a sore thumb!

It's not really a standard boiler, it's a 1MW Biomass Boiler powered by stable litter with a 125kW Organic Rankine Cycle system which when the water temp reaches around 80c starts to heat a R245fa propane based refrigerant which has a low boiling point and forces it through a magnectic bearing turbine and exports the power back to the grid. the building is much higher than the surrounding buildings (the boiler itself is 2 storeys alone) and the flue stack stands out like a sore thumb!

Fair enough!! lol!! Furse, will i'm sure give you the best advice on your lightning protection requirements, they will even design the system for you, if you send them the relavent drawings... One of the best free services around!!

Reply to Flue Stack Lightning Protection in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net