• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Fluke Tester in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lofty84

Hi Guys

Ive managed to save some money for a Tester and wondered if I could have some advise.

In the past I have used the Megger multi tester in college and one of the fluke varietys on the job and much prefer the fluke.

This is going to be my first tester and I would like it to be a fluke. Is there much diffenece between the C and B models because the B is a fair bit cheaper and if it is pretty much on par then I think this is going to be the best option for me.

I caN either buy it new of secondhand of of ebayand just wondered if its ok to buya second hand one and what I should set as the max im prepared to go to.

here are two I have been looking at

this is a C model
FLUKE 1652C Multifunction Tester | eBay

and this is a B model
FLUKE 1651 Multifunction Electrical Tester 17th Edition **Calibrated Jan 2014** | eBay

any help genuinely appreciated

You`ll always get the Fluke V Megger debate but stick with what you like, Me I`m a megger man all the way, cant stand the Fluke but thats only my opinion. As far as your question just buy the very best you can afford. Buy quality buy once as they say but there is little difference between the B and the C

I am a Fluke man myself. I think the main difference is the phase rotation function. If you only work on domestic it will be ok. Buy the best one that you can afford. I have a 1652C at home and use a 1653B at work.
If you can afford buy new then you know it hasn't been abused.
Also there are a lot of older versions on ebay which don't have the 'no trip' loop function.

the 1651 is recently calibrated. that's worth about £60, and it gives you a good indication that it's fully functional.

Im deffo going to go for a fluke as I prefer them. Not sure whch one ive you before now as I didnt know there was a c and b model. Does the B do the trip time automatically or is that the c

£60 or £600 pounds was that tele. Sound like its best to get a brand new one but I wasnt sure if people have brought them sencond hand before

can't help you with that one, mate being commited to megger. google the spec for each and see what the functions are.

Comparison of Fluke 1652, 1652B and 1652C:

The model change from 1652 to 1652B added a fast high current loop test, variable RCD current for customised settings, Pass/Fail indication of RCD tests, selectable voltage measurement L-N, L-PE & N-PE and the zero adaptor supplied as standard.

The model change from 1652B to 1652C added a phase sequence test.

what would you say is a good megger mft to get tele seeing as its my first one and all of my work will pretty much be domestic

i meant that the calibration cost is around £60. if going for a megger, a 1552 or 1553 will do all you need except phase rotation, which you would only need if you're doing a fair bit of 3 phase.

well I dont think they make the megger 1552 anymore.

Ive got £600 pounds to spend but if I can get some change great. dont know weather to go second. If I go second hand is there anythign to look out for, as I say its going to be my first tester.

check the for sale/wanted forum on this site. you can get a decent 2nd hand MFT for half your budget. that leaves £300 for some extra gear or beer.

there is a megger 1502 tester for sale buy MDJ but Im not sure how that compares to the 1552 I was reccomended so thought I would ask :)

it's the same but does not have auto rcd test.

well I dont think they make the megger 1552 anymore.

Ive got £600 pounds to spend but if I can get some change great. dont know weather to go second. If I go second hand is there anythign to look out for, as I say its going to be my first tester.

the 1652 B will allow you to test type B RCD,s

Reply to Fluke Tester in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back