Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

Discuss Food Grade panels in the Commercial Electrical Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DJMElectrical

DJMElectrical Guest

Hi,

I have wired an extension on my dads dairy that is constructed out of food grade panels (sheets of insulation sandwiched by sheets of metal) and am wondering if these need to be main bonded. The sheets of metal are covered in an unconductive material that means there is no continuity between sheets so if they had to be bonded it would mean they would all have to be cross bonded which would look untidy.

I would be grateful for any help which this.

Thanks

Dan

2. mechelec

mechelec Electrician's Arms

I would say no as you say they have a non conductive covering and also they are not liable to introduce an earth potential.

3. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

How are the cables earthed?

I’m sorry but it may look untidy but I don’t like the idea of an un-earthed panel. The coating is all to easy to damage so to my mind no guarantee of being earth free.

4. malcolmsanford

malcolmsanford Trusted Advisor

Just test and see if they are extraneous conductive parts .

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

The panels require supplementary bonding.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  6. DJMElectrical

DJMElectrical Guest

Is it required even if the installation is protected by a 30mA RCD and there are no livestock at the premises?

7. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

It would be required whether there's an RCD or not.
    If there is no livestock, then it would depend on whether there's any earth electrodes attached to the earth system.

8. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

My fist thought here is ...Who better to ask this question too, the manufacturer, or an electrical forum?? lol!! One you'll get a definitive answer to your question, the other, .... you'll get more in the way of suppositions than anything else!! lol!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Knobhead

Knobhead Guest

Got to agree E54, where better to get information. I’ve installed panels in a food factory, not a cable to be seen, but everything tickity boo behind the scenes.

To be worried about the aesthetics above safety is pure folly.

10. Andy 7671

Andy 7671 Guest

Only dairy Ive been involved in was stainless everywhere, cables run in "Milk pipe", YY CY and SY. All ready for jetwash..

11. DJMElectrical

DJMElectrical Guest

The answer to my own question is no lol. Got an opion from the NIC and the manufactures. Cant go wrong with those two can i haha.
    Thanks for all the help though.

12. Engineer54

Engineer54 Guest

As the NIC seem to think that they can make-up there own rules and Reg's, they would be the very last people i would seek advice from!!

So what was the advise/opinion of the Manufacturer then, and did it correspond with the NICs??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
  13. DJMElectrical

DJMElectrical Guest

Yeah the manufactures said there is no need to supplementary bond and they have not known it to be done.