Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss For old time House Bashers only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So thats Tel and you then !:)
Sure there are others of Me and Tel's Genre who are members Murdoch. Used to carry mine in my Gladstone bag with a block of wood on the end to make sure I didn't stab any of the other Passengers on the Bus whilst traveling too and from jobs, you Kids have it too easy these days, Vans, fuel cards supplied.:):p:eek:

Yea remember the days hammer & bolster,good old rawlplug tool,footprint hand drill,no Jenny in them days,wooden steps that use to sway,Buttle clips...haa.....

you mean there's something newer than buckle clips? is that what all the fuss is about on escape routes? somebody using some form of no-metallic clip? where casn i get some?

you mean there's something newer than buckle clips? is that what all the fuss is about on escape routes? somebody using some form of no-metallic clip? where casn i get some?
Long gone Mate as has the art of clipping cables properly.

I recall having one of these;
upload_2018-1-10_17-19-14.jpeg

And moved up to one of these, after the rawplug jumper;

images

You could mimic hammer action, by hitting the end with a lump hammer every hour.

Cause that's when drill bits of every kind, were nice & sharp. :)

I recall having one of these;
View attachment 40195

And moved up to one of these, after the rawplug jumper;

images

You could mimic hammer action, by hitting the end with a lump hammer every hour.

Cause that's when drill bits of every kind, were nice & sharp. :)
you been rooting in my kit?

trade has gone to pot anyway. you never see an electrician working these days in a 3 piece suit with pocket watch on a chain and a bowler hat, do you?

Old chap I did my apprenticeship with, wore a bib & brace, shirt & tie, brown brogues and sports jacket. He had a collection of pens & pencils in his jacket breast pocket. Didn't have a test lamp mind, used his finger for that.

Yep, used one of them augers. It was longer than the one in the photo. Could reach the ceiling joist from the floor.

First task I was allowed to do when i started was placing pins in buckle clips and handing to electrician. Two month before he trusted me to nail one in.

Once spent two whole weeks doing nothing but drilling holes, with the rawldrill and hammer, into concrete in an underground pumping station. I think I only broke two drills. Hell of a job to get out of the hole when you did. Pyro job that one.

When I started with BT in the early 80's the installers were still using 1/4" hand augers to go through wooden window frames..When I came out my apprenticeship they were still issued for use in places with out electric...With regards the Raw Plug tool, was that the idea that looked like "drill bit" mounted on the of a cold chisel that you turned as you pounded??? If so, a really handy bit of kit which I wish I still had...

One of the old gents who worked on the cable gang in the early 80s could remember when they still used handcarts before the of vans ect...Suspect we have it rather easy compared to our grandfathers!

With regards the Raw Plug tool, was that the idea that looked like "drill bit" mounted on the of a cold chisel that you turned as you pounded??? If so, a really handy bit of kit which I wish I still had...

....and if you needed a bigger throughhole with no power on site and before battery drills, you used a 2 foot length of 3/4" conduit and a 4lb lump hammer - hit and twist, hit and twist

When I started with BT in the early 80's the installers were still using 1/4" hand augers to go through wooden window frames..When I came out my apprenticeship they were still issued for use in places with out electric...With regards the Raw Plug tool, was that the idea that looked like "drill bit" mounted on the of a cold chisel that you turned as you pounded??? If so, a really handy bit of kit which I wish I still had...

One of the old gents who worked on the cable gang in the early 80s could remember when they still used handcarts before the of vans ect...Suspect we have it rather easy compared to our grandfathers!
BT Tool kits where ace those little zipped up hearing age beige bags.

BT Tool kits where ace those little zipped up hearing age beige bags.
Not sure which one you are talking about...

As an apprentice, you were issued a small leather wallet not much bigger than a pencil case to hold three screwdrivers, cutters, wire strippers and 81's (long nose pliers)...

Later you were issued the larger leather No3 wallet which was actually a very useful size..

vintage-gpo-bt-tool-wallet-no3_360_6f2db32252c9e1df350fb9c006ec8ecc.jpg

The photo above includes the small hand auger, but I recall a larger one which had a metal eye instead of a tee handle and was turned using a screw driver as a lever...

I still have a No3 wallet somewhere, I shall have to dig it out...

Ahhhh yes the number 3 I had one somewhere then you had the larger one as well, I remember the yellow handled screwdrivers and have one somewhere I believe, I think I gave my bag away in the end, still have my Krone tool. Not great for CAT6 cable terminations though.

Number 6 NICE OLD BT leather tool bag NUMBER 6 P.I.C.1987 | eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NICE-OLD-BT-leather-tool-bag-NUMBER-6-P-I-C-1987-/382329853127

Still have a few of the yellow handled screw drivers knocking about as well! lol I have seen a set of the old wooden step ladders going for a stupid amount on ebay after they were tagged as "vintage" lol

Once spent two whole weeks doing nothing but drilling holes, with the rawldrill and hammer, into concrete in an underground pumping station. I think I only broke two drills. Hell of a job to get out of the hole when you did. Pyro job that one.

You guys ever come across Ruabon Red engineering bricks? You could scratch a diamond with one...A lot of the council houses around this part of North Wales were built using them, including tiled skirtings of the same stuff. Even the mortar courses were like cement...getting cleats in was a nightmare as was drilling even when the elecy hammer drills came out...

Yes, used to use the brace & Rawlplug chisel & the buckle clips & the bolster chisel knocking the feather off floorboards.Took ages and the ears got a right bashing.

Yes, used to use the brace & Rawlplug chisel & the buckle clips & the bolster chisel knocking the feather off floorboards.Took ages and the ears got a right bashing.

That's a carpenter's brace. Electricians brace was much smaller with a short crank that you could turn between the joists without taking off your knuckles on the lath and plaster.

Still have a few of the yellow handled screw drivers knocking about as well! lol I have seen a set of the old wooden step ladders going for a stupid amount on ebay after they were tagged as "vintage" lol
Those yellow handled screwdrivers used to make your tongue go numb if you held them in your mouth whilst working - I think they were made of cocaine!

Anyone know what those old toolbags that Carpenters used, made out of a sort of sacking?

Reply to For old time House Bashers only in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net