Discuss Formal Visual - Pass Sticker? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

if you think it's safe for continued use, then a pass sticker is appropriate. on the test cert. you could put a comment. end of the day, it's your call based on your competence.

equipment has passed electrical test and has green pass sticker.
Then later it passed visual inpsection, would i leave the green pass label on until the next test date. so it has both?
thanks​
Following a formal visual inspection, if a sticker was required at this point, i'd issue a visual inspection only sticker - not a pass label.

This all sounds to be getting a bit out of hand - there is no legal requirement to PAT test at all, but it seems to be providing a lot of people with jobs. Every appliance should be visually inspected before each use, then "PAT tested" every year or whatever, which could just involve a visual inspection or could involve earth continuity, IR, run leakage tests depending on the construction.

Going around "formally visually inspecting" every appliance in the interim period between testing just sounds like busywork. Either carry out the appropriate tests or don't.

A quick look online reveals there are loads of different kinds of "passed visual inspection" labels, most likely because people are willing to buy them and not because going around just visually inspecting everything is officially recognised.
As if a 2 day PAT testing course weren't short enough, now there are 'companies' who want to dumb it down even more and get businesses to pay them to have a look at an appliance and slap a sticker on it.

"Well we could test it for you for £1.50 or have a quick look at it for 50p."
"Do I get a sticker for 50p?"
"Yes"
"That one then."

What i meant was if an appliance has passed the electrical test and the next test is visual inspection, do i remove and replace green pass label with visual (blue) one?
No-one will know its passed electrical test if green pass sticker has gone....

This all sounds to be getting a bit out of hand - there is no legal requirement to PAT test at all, but it seems to be providing a lot of people with jobs. Every appliance should be visually inspected before each use, then "PAT tested" every year or whatever, which could just involve a visual inspection or could involve earth continuity, IR, run leakage tests depending on the construction.

Going around "formally visually inspecting" every appliance in the interim period between testing just sounds like busywork. Either carry out the appropriate tests or don't.

What I'm saying is I don't think there should be two separate tests - you do the testing and put a test sticker on, then the user should do a visual (or rather 'all senses except taste' inspection) before they use it, without having to put any more stickers on the appliance.

How come you're going around doing visual-only inspections?

In my opinion you would conduct a visual inspection before you even consider testing an appliance with a PAT tester. If there are any visual defects that you are not going to repair, cut the plug off and take the appliance out of use and record your findings.

If you have conducted a visual inspection and you are happy with the appliance, I would then proceed to test it applicably and issue a green pass sticker which would cover both your visual assesment and your electronic tests.

You can purchase visual pass stickers - personally I'd use these for items of equipment that you can't PAT test (laptop chargers, phone charges etc etc)....

What I'm saying is I don't think there should be two separate tests - you do the testing and put a test sticker on, then the user should do a visual (or rather 'all senses except taste' inspection) before they use it, without having to put any more stickers on the appliance.

How come you're going around doing visual-only inspections?

But what you've overlooked it that there are 3 levels to this, not 2:

*The user check (which you are referring to wrongly as the visual), to be done before each use. Not recorded or stickered.
*The formal visual inspection (which is what sweetcheeks82 is talking about). Recorded and can be stickered.
*Combined inspection and testing. Recorded and can be stickered.

Formal visual inspections can be carried out inbetween combined inspection & test periods, or even instead of, for some classes of appliance in certain environments. It's all down to the assessment.

In my opinion you would conduct a visual inspection before you even consider testing an appliance with a PAT tester .... If you have conducted a visual inspection and you are happy with the appliance, I would then proceed to test it applicably and issue a green pass sticker which would cover both your visual assesment and your electronic tests.

Absolutely. That's why that part of the process is rightly called 'Combined Inspection and Testing'.

But it's not what sweetcheeks82 is asking...

But what you've overlooked it that there are 3 levels to this, not 2:

*The user check (which you are referring to wrongly as the visual), to be done before each use. Not recorded or stickered.
*The formal visual inspection (which is what sweetcheeks82 is talking about). Recorded and can be stickered.
*Combined inspection and testing. Recorded and can be stickered.

Formal visual inspections can be carried out inbetween combined inspection & test periods, or even instead of, for some classes of appliance in certain environments. It's all down to the assessment.

What I'm saying is I don't think there should be two separate tests
Should just be user checks and II&TEE. Doing a separate "visual only" is just busywork.

In my opinion you would conduct a visual inspection before you even consider testing an appliance with a PAT tester. If there are any visual defects that you are not going to repair, cut the plug off and take the appliance out of use and record your findings.

If you have conducted a visual inspection and you are happy with the appliance, I would then proceed to test it applicably and issue a green pass sticker which would cover both your visual assesment and your electronic tests.

You can purchase visual pass stickers - personally I'd use these for items of equipment that you can't PAT test (laptop chargers, phone charges etc etc)....

^^^ This!

Reply to Formal Visual - Pass Sticker? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net