Search the forum,

Discuss Found a cable in my back garden… in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Resident

Hi. Can somebody please advice what to do next or should I do anything next or just leave that cable as it is?
Just bought the house and found a cable in my back garden . Tested with multimeter - Im not electrician so I dont realy have a clue what this reading means - I only understand how to check AC/DC voltage, but other functions - no clue. I filmed my reading and uploaded on youtube for better info on the problem. Can somebody have a look and help me with this .

You have a voltage there, I think… but not mains voltage. So it could still be connected somewhere.

Go to your fusebox/ consumer unit and turn off each circuit breaker in turn until that voltage can no longer be found.
That should give you a clue as to where to look next.

Is there any switches inside that don’t seem to operate any lights or isolate appliances sockets?

Is there power out to a shed?

Could you give us a rough location in the country? Maybe a forum member could nip by and make safe for a pint or two… (not milk)

Thanks for your advice. I tried to switch the mains off and still getting the same readings on it. Its stars with like 0.100 MΩ and goes to like 0.850 MΩ.
Im in Yate.
Could it be neighbours cable coming through the fence - it goes in the ground right under the fence 🤷‍♂️

if you are reading Mohms, that's a resistance, not a voltage. a non-contact tester could be useful here, but don't rely on it for safety reasons. a photo of the cable itself would be useful.

Thanks for your advice. I tried to switch the mains off and still getting the same readings on it. Its stars with like 0.100 MΩ and goes to like 0.850 MΩ.
Im in Yate.
Could it be neighbours cable coming through the fence - it goes in the ground right under the fence 🤷‍♂️
Turn your meter off smart mode and put it onto AC volts, check it and then try dc volts.

My advice is to get someone with the knowledge and test equipment to check and disconnect it properly.

Im in Yate.
What's happening with that high resistance reading over time is absolutely typical of moisture between the conductors of the cable. I wouldn't be surprised if the far end is also cut off and buried in the ground somewhere.
Put the meter on the V range, and if there aren't any volts present, pull it up!
(The meter shouldn't be giving a resistance reading if there was a significant voltage present!)

if you are reading Mohms, that's a resistance, not a voltage. a non-contact tester could be useful here, but don't rely on it for safety reasons. a photo of the cable itself would be useful.
welcome back Tel, absolutely fantastic you are still around to post, I am sure there are many sparks on here who are also very happy you are back

What's happening with that high resistance reading over time is absolutely typical of moisture between the conductors of the cable. I wouldn't be surprised if the far end is also cut off and buried in the ground somewhere.
Put the meter on the V range, and if there aren't any volts present, pull it up!
(The meter shouldn't be giving a resistance reading if there was a significant voltage present!)

Thanks. Looks like this is the case. There is definitely no AC or DC at all. I was just wondering about that resistance reading because when I tested known disconnected cable - I didnt get any resistance reading but this one had reading and it confused me 🤷‍♂️ . Will just cut it as far as I can in the ground and job done 👍
Thank you all.

Reply to Found a cable in my back garden… in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net