Discuss FP200 colour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
my sister told me today that the office she works in was having a fire alarm system fitted last week. the walls are all plastered and painted white so when her boss seen red FP200 clipped to walls he hit the roof!!. but when he asked the installers (national company) to change the colour they said that the regs say cable has to be red but they can put it in white trunking. so I gets out my BGB to do some research as I dont do much fire alarm work, to see if they are right, I could find that the isolator needs to be red but nothing about the cable. to me it looks like they only had red on the van and the "regs"was their way out, or are they right, and if so why do screwfix and TLC both stock white FP200

fire alarms have been cabled in red FP200 since about 1996. it's not ib Bs7671 but porobably in Bs5839.

white FP200 used to be used, years ago. it's still used for other purposes e.g. emergency lighting. fire is RED. even the mains supply to the panel is red FP200. and just to give your sister's boss another coronary, it should be in red trunking.

Tin of white paint and a brush will sort it.
It will still be installed as red...

It's not going to be invisible whatever colour it is when it's surface + clipped.

thanks tel, will have another look through BGB for the reg no's fo any future reference

no use looking in BGB you won't find it there. it's BS5839 for fire alarms. if you want a copy, take out a second mortgage.

There is no requirement for it to be red. Although it is generally accepted to be the colour and most manufactures make it in this colour for that reason however It comes under BS 5839-1: 2002 and under the heading of "
Segregation of fire alarm circuits from other circuits

Identification of fire circuits so that they can be distinguished from other circuits
Having segregated the fire alarm circuits from the other circuits and, in the case of trunking, kept the fire alarm cables within a separate compartment from other circuits, it is important that this situation is maintained. It is also important that there is no interference with fire alarm circuits as a result of confusion between the fire alarm circuits and other circuits. Accordingly, all fire alarm cables should be of a single, common colour that is not used for cables of general electrical services in the building. The colour red is preferred. However, it would be possible to comply with the recommendations of BS 5839-1 by using another colour, provided the same colour is not used for cables of other electrical services in the building.

so that would suggest that using white is not acceptable as LSF T/E is generally white.

And so is flex and I bet there's some of that in the building lol

yet these same twerps that complain about having red FP200 will not blink an eyelid at grotty copper pipe clipped to the walls, or white plastic water pipe along a dark oak beam.

Both Bs statements are correct, as they have to work together, This is a prime example of why cable scheduals are issued, stating cable size colour etc. Most designers will take this into account when issuing.

Reply to FP200 colour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net