Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Free Solar panel installation offers. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

These are companies who have realised there is a fair bit of cash to be made from solar generation. all they need is roofspace to install their kit and thats where the homeowner comes in. They get some free electric and the company gets the government cashback for green generation and the feed-in tarif for additional generation.

Most households are empty during the day, and thus most of what is generated will be exported........If there was not a good financial incentive to fit, there is no other reason for companies doing it.

Hi Jason,

Very interesting,
I was always told that there is nothing free and certainly a company cant survive supplying out stuff without charge. I am aware that the government has put up some (European?) money to encourage the introduction of photovoltaic panels. I believe you can sell back to the grid at something like 41 pence per unit and use it yourself (?).
It seemed always the case that the drawback on panels like this was the time required for it to pay for itself and this was the main prevention of installation on a large scale.
Hopefully it will help the trade and its progress I guess.
Best wishes,
Rex

I now tighten the noose around my neck ready to leap......................

I've had a few very interesting discussions concerning PV on this forum with the PV installers, suffice to say I'm off their Christmas list

I'm not actually a lover of PV in the UK. I think because of our geographical location it's not a viable proposition. I work in saudi a country that is in the top 5 for solar yield location. Even they struggle to make the technonlgy work, and are now only really using PV for road signs and lamps. They utilise the poles as really a battery storage and that works.

I just feel we could use these FIT's to develop the green revolution in a different way. This latest scheme highlights the fact really. It's branded as a tax to develop green energy and in a way it could be, but it is being used to generate money for individuals who happen to have 10-20K handy or companies to exploit.

I'm a capatalist but I draw the line at FIT's being paid to individuals and companies via these Carbon Taxes. The taxes being raised by the rest of the customers in higher electricity rates, espicially key meters who are utilised by the most vulnerable.

I therefore believe we have the situation of the less well off subsidising the better off. Naive terminology I guess but I think the right. Progress of course costs, and there must be progress, but at any price!

I dont disagree with many of your arguments, the FIT is being exploited by the 'fit for free' brigade, and will be one of the driving forces for the reduction of the FIT rate in the near future.

Semiconductors dont like heat which is probably one of the reasons PV hasent taken off in Saudi, cant change the law of physics, spain is probably the best geographical compromise between temperature/solar radiance.

Noshocks agree when I did the PV course I was told a sunny day in March is better than a sunny day in August just for the heat.

As I mentioned I have nothing against PV as such, I do hope it works as we need to do something, what I do have the quibble with is the way it's exploited for the benefit of a few to make money. If they made money without these subsidies then great but while it is subsidied by others who are less fortunate than them, then I think it's morally wrong. sorry that's just me

Rant over honest

Agree with all posts so far, but what about the "cause" of the shift to "green" energy production? It's shovede down our throats that global warming is destroying the planet. Global warming my a***e. It's getting colder. we are now in a period of global cooling. it's all to do with the sun. If we go down the path of reducing so called greenhouse gas emissions ( 80% of which are produced by animals , not man, we are in for another ice age. All comments agreeing or disagreeing with my rant will be appreciated

I think one of the key elements on free PV is whether it's an interest household from the "green brigade household" or the "investment household" The green brigade are more into carbon emissions and saving the planet so more likely go for the free system and only saving a small percentage on their electric bill where the investor is looking to attractive return rates which are not currently on offer from the bank.
The example given in some tabloids is a 2.1Kwp system on an installed value of £11K. Taking its a UK perfect location to qualify for a free system then its south facing no shade and 30 degree pitch. This would equate to a loss on investment over 25years of £14K.
I can understand why these schemes have been introduced and some of the big companies can afford to do it but they still have to cover running costs and cash flow. So where is this revenue coming from? Banks are jumpy about most investments into renewable's as there is little proven history for the UK market. What happens if a change of government scraps the FITs scheme etc? Are they charging more on the paid systems to try and cover it?
There's also issues over ownership of the system, depreciation if the home owner wishes to buy out the installing company and if the property is placed for sale. Questions over what happens when the property is sold have been raised by the Energy Savings Trust and well worth a read. I'm not sure how I would feel on buying a property where I didn't own the array. What if they want it removed? Who's cost would it be to repair the roof etc? The questions can just go on.
I wouldn't criticise anyone who's got a free system and they should be commended for wanting to do their bit, and in current economic times its also in some way offering work and employment so that can only be a good thing. As a small installer well I've got to say it a hard deal to beat.

being in it just for the cost saving side, is there a way of storing the power generated during the day - battery packs etc- so i get power in the evening and the free provider doesnt get the "fit" payment or as much of it? or is that not allowed in the contract?

Hi Tready,
its got to be a full Grid tied system ,if you wish to qualify for the Feed in Tariff

sparkylad

No sorry standalone do qualify for FITs but at a reduced rate of 26p per unit. I think he's suggesting getting a free grid tied system but storing the energy in batteries. As FITs are paid on generation and not on what's used then the installer will see no reduction what so ever. Trouble being batteries are expensive and need maintenance over time.

Morning fellas.

Now that PV is taking off, there are a number of companies offering free equipment with free maintenance and the possibility of saving a third off bills.

Of course, the only downside is that the FIT is theirs and not yours.

One example i have seen is

Free Solar Panels & SolarShare From The Market Leader - HomeSun

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Free Solar Panel Installations are not for everyone, and it may be a worthwhile investment to actually pay for an installation yourself. Lots of newspapers have commented on this, and you can find some helpful information here:

Free Solar Panels – Great idea but not for everyone! | Renewable Energy News

This includes details of how much Tax Free Return on Investment you could be making, if you pay for an installation yourself.

Hope this helps,

Mochalatte

Reply to Free Solar panel installation offers. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net