Discuss Free Solar in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
One of the good things to come out of the FITs cuts is that the fat cats will move away from installing the free solar.

Also, those that have had the free installs will actually be in a more attractive position than it seemed they would be. I, like most of you, think that the suggested rates cut is going to kill off the industry for the forseeable future. While it was fairly obvious to the rest of us that those that were getting free installs should take a loan and pay for it themselves, those that have had it done are going to get a tasty benefit from the free electricity. Seeing as it will soon be the case that it won't be worth homeowners having it installed at their own expense (and benefit), I suspect that some homeowners will regret having not had it done for free.

After the drop in FITs, I intend to put a package together to offer those with solar already installed, particularly the ones with free panels, to make sure they maximise their benefit from the electricity that is generated. If I can sort something out that is cheap enough but which will give a nice benefit then there may be a market out there for it.

I don't think the new rumoured rates will kill off the free solar. I still think they will get the return. The prices these contracts go for is crazy. I don't claim to understand it fully but I think pension funds etc.. Actually get big tax breaks for investing in green technology.

What it will effect is private householders getting it done by a small installer who is doing a proper job. If you're buying panels of a re-seller, having to pay out for surveys, then paying a fair wage to an decent roofer. Plus pricing up all the time taken for design, procurement and fixed costs. And for the large ones add planning and DNO... It's harder to get the returns.

We've got 5 50's which have just gone to planning/dno... Monday could be a major kick in the teeth.

We rejected offering free solar. Partly cause for the price offered we would have had to cut corners to even break even let alone make money.

I think its going to be interesting to see how prices for kit plumit and it will reveal whos been making the profit - the manufactures.

The thing Ill be glad to see the back of are the Lead Generating vultures. Ive booked 26 kW(7 systems) today for immediate fitting and 80-100% of the install price is hitting my account now :earmuffs:

I don't think the new rumoured rates will kill off the free solar. I still think they will get the return. The prices these contracts go for is crazy. I don't claim to understand it fully but I think pension funds etc.. Actually get big tax breaks for investing in green technology.

What it will effect is private householders getting it done by a small installer who is doing a proper job. If you're buying panels of a re-seller, having to pay out for surveys, then paying a fair wage to an decent roofer. Plus pricing up all the time taken for design, procurement and fixed costs. And for the large ones add planning and DNO... It's harder to get the returns.

We've got 5 50's which have just gone to planning/dno... Monday could be a major kick in the teeth.

We rejected offering free solar. Partly cause for the price offered we would have had to cut corners to even break even let alone make money.

The EIS investment vehicles will lose their tax breaks for Solar next April as proposed in the last budget by Osbourne so they are already doing their final funding now with a cut off date in April. So they will raise a few more million yet to invest in free solar as most of the investors are getting big tax breaks so not too focused on the FIT returns although this will have an effect on the net take. These schemes are only there for 3- 4 years then the cash is recovered plus the bonus for selling it on. The reason for cutting the tax incentive was because there were already incentives by way of the FIT payments .... now they have gone it seems the treasury has it in for the solar industry.

I assume of the FIT is going the way it is, that 80%+ companys will just pack up, if so what happens to people with garentees, could this cost REAL a fortune in claims as they insure the installation.??

It's interesting to note how the press refers to 'free' PV systems. They seem to consider it the most 'fair' of all as it's the only type of system that those suffering genuine 'energy-poverty' can have installed. Otherwise, those in greatest need would miss out altogether as they simply couldn't afford to pay for it themselves. There might be some truth to that? Mind you, I doubt most actual installers consider it an altruistic move...

My biggest issue with free solar is that I wonder if the companies that offer this service tell the customer the whole story. If the customer genuinely does not wish to pay for it themselves then this is fair enough and I genuinely believe that it can be a win-win situation.

Reply to Free Solar in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net