Discuss Fully installed prices in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recently spoke to a customer who went for a 3.9 kWp system for £11,900, and the guy was willing to travel 6 hours to do the install. The industry will be very difficult to sustain if margins are that thin.

The big boys are in - Mark Group, British Gas, Eaga, Tesco, Npower etc etc. They aren't the problem it's the small independents who don't fully understand the cost of delivering the service. £11,900 is probably do-able with Chinese panels and cheap inverters if customers aren't too picky but I don't understand the travelling 6 hours bit - we've got more work than we can cope with on our doorstep ..

I completed a 3.89kw using Sanyo for 12,750 last week, it was less than a mile from my office, i think this was as low as i could go to be profitable and I have low oerheads. larger company was not far off my price after lowering offer at the last moment.
Its going to get a lot more competative next year as I know many sparks are signed up to do the 2372, even if only 20% go on to MCS registration.

That's low, by the time you've paid for insurance, training, tools, admin support, accountant, marketing etc there can't be much left - unless I'm buying from the wrong place ....

If you add in the cashflow issues with VAT on purchased kit at 20% and invoiced out VAT at 5% its getting harder and harder. We were owed over £20K last quarter from the VAT office and they took the entire month to pay it .

Another problem is that the nationals and sharks have commission driven salesmen, who despite the REAL and MCS rules get a deposit cheque on the day. I know the customer is at fault for being weak but we have heard of people paying "Ideal" and the like over £20K for 2kW systems and then fitting very poor kit.

I dont disagree with you about price, but I dont advertise, all my insurances, tools, accountant etc etc I pay anyway as part of being an electrical contractor, and even at this price its way more than housebashing. Having said that I did get a good deal on the modules, but it was tight.

The Germans and Americans are on there way, read between the lines of the following link and decide whether little businesses are being catered for ?

Solar industry review to ban 'hot money’ - Telegraph

Big business leaders are telling Government not to meddle, so there you have it, all about the big boys. They employ the little person for their qualifications to install and sign of the jobs for a wage.

Once again, training centers earning a small fortune. I was going to do the course but adding up all the costs, overheads etc, decided it was a bit of a con.

Reply to Fully installed prices in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net