Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss fuse rating moulded plug in the PAT Testing Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. chris.hyom

chris.hyom Guest

I PAT tested a Hotpoint Iced Diamond fridge freezer RFAA52. The CE plate on the back said 150W but the moulded plug said 13Amp. I looked up the instruction book on the Hotpoint web site and it said 13amp. I left the 13 amp fuse in the plug but it just seemed to be wrong. I sent an email to Hotpoint to ask the reason but they said that they could not answer the question.
    so why does a 150W appliance need a 13amp fuse?

2. KAS1

KAS1 Electrician's Arms

The fuse is not to protect the fridge, only the flex................

3. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    motor star up current would pop a lower rated fuse.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Marvo

Marvo Admin and gender confused Staff Member

150watts may run an ammonia absorption fridge but if it's a fridge that has a compressor then I don't believe it only consumes 150watts.

5. Geordie Spark

Geordie Spark Trusted Advisor

Get a gas powered fridge then you won't need fuses to confuse you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MDJ

MDJ Guest

It must be a very small fridge. The average Fridge freezer is around 400 watts tick over power. When the compressor kicks in it can be 6 times that amount hence the 13 amp fuse.

7. kenuk

kenuk EF Member

Had similar with a slow cooker, tesco said to follow manufacturers instructions as its a safety instruction - still not sure why on earth a less than 200w appliance would need 13 amp fuse - its a slow cooker, surely no surges etc.

8. darkwood

darkwood Who's changing my Avatar? Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Welcome to the forum kenuk, please take note of the posting dates of any thread your responding to as this is a year old thread, in regards to the topic in hand, don't be confused with plug top fuses - they are there on a lot of occasions to give short circuit protection only and not overcurrent protection as many often assume (although they are used of O/L protection too dependent on the product). A products current rating alone cannot be used as an indication of plugtop fuse rating.

9. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    2 years, darkwood, 2 years. andf i thought i was going senile. :shocked3:

• Like Like x 1