Discuss future expansion in new D/B in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stevethomas

Hi everyone, I had a call today about a board I changed lasted year with a 100amp main switch and individual RCBO'S. At the time I did this work it was my intention to leave one spare way for future expansion, which was fine until I found that the up and down ring circuits both had spurs in them so I used the spare ways for them, baring in mind that this is a 1930' s detached house with all the extensions, conservatory etc already added.
Any way another electrician was carrying out some work for the client and pointed out that the last electrician had not left any room for future expansion. Not the the sparks needed the extra way, he just felt like telling the client that.
Anyway with that the client called my saying that I had carried out a substandard installation, and expected a written response from me. What do you think I should say. I am currently looking through the reg's as I do vaguely remember seeing this mentioned. Can any of you out there recall the reg' no.
Cheers Steve

There is no reg requiring spare ways be left!

Write him a letter on letter head stating this, mention all of the usuall key words and phrases that should put it to bed.

I would in future use bigger boards for this exact reason th, if you think you need 9 ways, install a 12 way not a 10 etc etc

Yep nothing to say you have to, and if I were you I'd say 'arrangements were made for further expansion by way of two extra circuits, however these circuits had to be used due to an unforseen complication (namely the current wiring had been installed in a manner unsatisfactory to the current wiring regulations), these 'spare ways' had to be used to accomodate the previously unprotected wiring. If you would like more detail, including references to wiring regulatiuons, please do not hesitate to contact me. Alternatively, if you would like me to provide you with a quote to rewire your current installation to a standard where it would be acceptable to utilise only the previous amount of circuit breakers, freeing up space for future expansion, I would be only too happy to provide you with one.'

Or words to that effect.

Also, as big man says, always aim for a good three spare ways on a board change if you can.

Reply to future expansion in new D/B in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net