Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Gaining experience on site in London in the Looking for Domestic Electricians? area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. David Bancroft

David Bancroft New EF Member

I've recently taking the plunge and left the office life and traded the keyboard for a screwdriver. I've been applying online and realised that I'm only likely start out working on site. I'm willing to work for free if anyone knows anyone in London looking or has any recommendations this would be appreciated

2. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    I wouldn't go offering your services for free just yet. Have you got an ECS card yet? If you have then I'd suggest ringing up some local electrical firms and ask if they've got any site work going. It's London and there's tons of work out there at the moment.

Failing that, you can go from site to site and ask to talk to the electrical managers, I'm sure someone will take you on as there's a shortage of reliable workers.

3. David Bancroft

Thanks Joshua,

I do have my ECS card and will take your advice on board and start calling around tomorrow. Thanks for your help

4. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    You're welcome mate, if you get stuck then I've got loads of agencies numbers you can ring, but you only want to use them as a last resort. No need for middle men skimming off our wages if it can be helped.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Massive1

Massive1 Trainee Access

Have you any electrical qualifications at all mate,
    Do you mind me asking how you went about getting your ECS card?

6. David Bancroft

I registered an account on Home | Electrotechnical Certification Scheme - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/. From there I verified my qualifications by sending copies and sat a health and safety exam the card was posted shortly after

Qualifications I've obtained over the past year are Part P, 17th Edition 2392 and PAT Testing 2377

I'm still in the process of completing 2394/95 which I'm expecting to pass withing the next couple of months

7. Tes369

Tes369 Regular EF Member

If I were in London id get on the underground there's plenty of work and chances are you would learn a bit off the lads your working with. More than any college would teach you.

The essentials =

*Cable Tray
    *Trunking
    *Basket
    *Conduit
    *Armoured cable

You should buy a good "[email protected] cut" file flat and half round.

Tape measure =Stanley 8m is a good buy.

Engineers squares 300mm for tray and 50mm for lighting trunking.

And a Rat tail file for galv conduit.

And a good pair of overalls I'd imagine it's filthy down there.

Good luck.

8. David Bancroft

Cheers Tes

Fortunately I've got a mate who is in the same boat as me in terms of experience and qualifications and he has been taken on by an agency who have found him work on the underground, he seems to be enjoying it and the money ain't half bad either.

9. Tes369

Tes369 Regular EF Member

Get him to get you a fix..?

Have you asked him what they have him doing etc

What tools have you got ..?

Good luck pal