Discuss Garden Lighting Advice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JimTheSpark

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Only joined the forums today. I hope some of you may be able to help answer a few questions I have in regards in garden lighting.

To cut to the chase I have not long qualified as an Electrician, yet have had very little on site practical experience.

My parents have asked me to wire up some lighting in the garden for them, but before I go ahead and do the job I want to be clear about a few things so that I feel more confident that I am doing the installation correctly and safely.

I will be getting a friend to oversea the job and will notify building control, but don't want to bombard him with lots of questions as he will more than likely say I may as well do it for you.

Anyway.

I am going to install 10 x hardwired 40w lights. Can I run the power straight from the board? As the lights are not low voltage would I be correct in presuming a transformer is not required?

Is 3 core 1.5mm SWA cable sufficent for the job?

Can I use stardard 3 core 1.5mm cable from the board and then switch to the SWA once the cable runs outside. For example: Standard cable to indoor switch and then SWA from switch to outside?

Would I be correct in beliving that the cable must be burried 600mm in in the group and protection can be added by the use of plastic conduit or drain pipe?

Would wiring the installation as a radial cicuit be the easiest method? For example: Cable from light to Wiska box and then branch off to each light?

I have read it is good practice to put warning tape along the cable run. At what debth should this be?

And lastly. Once building control have been notified will they inspect the job and charge a fee to certificate it?

Thanks in advance guys. All comments and suggestions are greatfully appreciated :)

Hi guys,

I'm new here. Only joined the forums today. I hope some of you may be able to help answer a few questions I have in regards in garden lighting.

To cut to the chase I have not long qualified as an Electrician, yet have had very little on site practical experience.

My parents have asked me to wire up some lighting in the garden for them, but before I go ahead and do the job I want to be clear about a few things so that I feel more confident that I am doing the installation correctly and safely.

I will be getting a friend to oversea the job and will notify building control, but don't want to bombard him with lots of questions as he will more than likely say I may as well do it for you.

Anyway.

I am going to install 10 x hardwired 40w lights. Can I run the power straight from the board? As the lights are not low voltage would I be correct in presuming a transformer is not required?........Of course a transformer will not be required if they are 230v lights,you can run straight from a spare way on the DB...an RCD is not likely to be required on this type of fixed installation but it would probably be a good idea.

Is 3 core 1.5mm SWA cable sufficent for the job?........Depends on the legnth of run,max 3% volt drop,you will need to calculate that but unless your parents garden is acres and acres 1.5mm will almost certainly be sufficient.

Can I use stardard 3 core 1.5mm cable from the board and then switch to the SWA once the cable runs outside. For example: Standard cable to indoor switch and then SWA from switch to outside?....Yes

Would I be correct in beliving that the cable must be burried 600mm in in the group and protection can be added by the use of plastic conduit or drain pipe?....There is no specific minimum depth but it must be at sufficient depth to avoid disturbance during cultivation,600mm is considered sufficient,protection by conduit or duct is not essential at this depth but is a good idea particularly where cables rise up to lights.

Would wiring the installation as a radial cicuit be the easiest method? For example: Cable from light to Wiska box and then branch off to each light?...Yes

I have read it is good practice to put warning tape along the cable run. At what debth should this be?....Half fill the trench and then place tape directly above the cable then finish backfill

And lastly. Once building control have been notified will they inspect the job and charge a fee to certificate it?........Check with your LABC,poceedure (if they have one) varies.

Thanks in advance guys. All comments and suggestions are greatfully appreciated :)

Good luck

Hi Jim,

I wont add to wirepullers post as he seems to have it covered for you.

But i will give you a bit of advice.

As you have recently qualified and are finding your way, then i would suggest that if you havent already got the following then invest in them.

BS7672 IET 17th edition wiring regulations, also referred to on here as the BRB (big red book)
BS7672 IET 17th edition on site guide (OSG)
IET Electricians guide to the building regulations
IET GN3 testing and Inspection.

Whilst this forum is an excellent tool for help and advice, those books will have most or all of the answers to any problem you may encounter during your life as a Sparky. What you will find interesting in this forum is how many different takes of the regs are posted by different people, and dont be afraid to put your views either rightly or wrongly. it is always interesting to here other peoples opinions and also to be corrected from time to time. This forum is run very well and contributed to by some very knowledgable people, dont be afraid to be wrong, you wont get slagged off by the top quality people who contribute. No one knows all the answers, but i bet between us we do.

Cheers...........Howard

Good luck in your chosen proffession

Thanks wirepuller for answering all of my questions and thanks everyone else for the extra advice :)

If anyone else has anything they feel is worth a mention please feel free to comment.

Reply to Garden Lighting Advice? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net