Discuss Garden lights feed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tears200

Guys im in need of your help and guidance again please. Im a spark in a industrial environment so when I get asked to do any residential jobs sometimes I get stumped. What it is is my pal has asked me to put him some outside lights in his back garden, the builder has ran and buried a cable in the soil from one end of the garden to the other, one end of the SWA pops up in the soil im going to put a IP 65 rated socket with RCD on the end. But im stuck with the other end. It comes up directly beneath a twin IP 65 rated socket with RCD, this would be great if I could put a 3 pin plug on the SWA but I cant also theres no real space for me to put a metal box to terminate the SWA in due to downspouts being in the way, the only thing I can think of is to drill a hole through to inside feed the SWA through and terminate inside then feed a flex back outside. Does anyone else have any ideas as im stumped. Thank you again for taking the time to read this and I look forward to your reply.

Hey telectrix why why fit the fcu in a box isn't the ip rated fcu enough or will I not be able to terminate the SWA to the ip rated fcu.

i meant a non IP rated FCU. and yes it will be easier to gland the SWA into an adaptable box. fit banjo or earthing nut/s.

Oh yes im with you thank you, you've been a great help. That's the way ill do it just got to tell my mates wife that she will lose her 2 gang socket. Wont go down well she a dragon. I will blame you. ha ha Thanks

Once you have the FCU in place then you can move the existing socket to a nearby location and feed it from the FCU as well as feeding the cable to the far end.
If you use a plastic box you just need to ensure you maintain the earthing through the box. Also use a piranha nut as some boxes are a bit thick to get the gland nut on with the banjo.

Hi Richard what plastic box would you recommend as I've never terminated a swa into a plastic enclosure before always thought it had to be metal. Thanks.

Reply to Garden lights feed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net