Discuss Gas Bond Yes or No? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James Croxford

I have just carried out an EICR and the only C1 defect I found was no 10mm bond to the gas. As this is not a fixed gas feed but only a gas cylinder I guess this still requires an earth bond from the DB? (feeds hob only)

My next question is, if the rubber hose from the cylinder was to continue in plastic all the way to the hob would it then be exempt from having to have an earth bond at the cylinder?

Here's a picture I took yesterday....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20131030_123008.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked to see if it is in fact an extraneous conductive part by means of testing.

I have just carried out an EICR and the only Cat 1 defect I found was no 10mm bond to the gas. As this is not a fixed gas feed but only a gas cylinder I guess this still requires an earth bond from the DB? (feeds hob only)

My next question is, if the rubber hose from the cylinder was to continue in plastic all the way the hob would it then be exempt from having to have an earth bond?

Haha, very funny, from the wording it looks like you are asking do you need to bond a rubber or plastic pipe:lol:

The pipe work passes continuity (R2 lead test) as the hob is earthed through the fused spur. This would still be classed as an extraneous conductive part, correct?

The pipe work passes continuity (R2 lead test) as the hob is earthed through the fused spur. This would still be classed as an extraneous conductive part, correct?

That is not the correct method to determine if a service is extraneous or not apart from the need for a wander lead :)

No.

To test whether it is extraneous you must isolate the pipe (disconnect) and IR test it to the MET.
As you are doing an EICR and you will not want to do this perhaps you should assume that it was deemed not extraneous when fitted because it doesn't go to earth.

P.s. it is 'earthED (equipotential) bonding' not 'earth bonding' - subtle difference.

No.

To test whether it is extraneous you must isolate the pipe (disconnect) and IR test it to the MET.
As you are doing an EICR and you will not want to do this perhaps you should assume that it was deemed not extraneous when fitted because it doesn't go to earth.

P.s. it is 'earthED (equipotential) bonding' not 'earth bonding' - subtle difference.
but if he isn`t sure (visual)...then he proves it by means of IR & wander lead....doesn`t he...

Isn't that what I said?

He's doing an EICR.

No help doing an IR with it connected to the hob and CPC.

Would he test or be worried by an outside tap?

I have just carried out an EICR and the only C1 defect I found was no 10mm bond to the gas. As this is not a fixed gas feed but only a gas cylinder I guess this still requires an earth bond from the DB? (feeds hob only)

My next question is, if the rubber hose from the cylinder was to continue in plastic all the way to the hob would it then be exempt from having to have an earth bond at the cylinder?

attachment.php

I'm not sure about the regs. regarding LPG, but if this were Natural Gas and you ran it in plastic you would have you balls cut off - and rightly so !!

Running gas in properties through non-metallic pipework fell out of favour just after the Ronan Point disaster !! ( Google that one sometime! )

1. missing bonding is a C2 , as glenn correctly infered.

2. a gas bottle sat on the floor is not an extraneous part in any way and doesnt not require bonding , and neither does the pipe which isnt even touching the ground.

seems to me like some poor home owner has recieved a failed inspection to which they did not deserve , which is all down to p*ss poor understanding of basic principles.

James,
As the guys have already stated................bonding the pipework and the gas bottle would be the perfect example of 'introducing' a hazard by unnecessary bonding.
An earth fault on the system would /probably raise said pipework and cylinder to mains voltage(think aluminium double glazing in past years) and the poor sod that comes to change the bottle will be it's path to earth.........probably:)

Reply to Gas Bond Yes or No? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net