Discuss Gas pipe earth bond. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if it is acceptable to bond the gas pipe outside of the house rather than just after it enters? The problem is I have to bond a gas pipe- it was noted on a recent pir that it wasn't done, problem is it enters the house through the roof space of a two storey house, miles away from the fuse board. Getting an earth cable up there may be tricky. Looking an easier way out.

sometimes you can only bond where you can get to, providing its as close as possible and a note made on certificate stating where it is and why then no major issue.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that's the one Lenny, OK external if there is a gas meter enclosure, or you can adapt some kind of enclosure around the pipe and label it, but left open to the elements IMO would not be acceptable.

I have just been informed by my electrician that we have to bond our gas pipe. The problem is that the gas meter is within a housing on the front external wall of my house and apparently he has to connect this back to my fuse box etc which at the farthest point on the rear of the house. Running this through the house is not an option, and the only opther idea he has is to run a conduit right around the perimeter of the property which will be an eyesore! Are there any other options? Can it just be earthed straight to the ground or is this something different?

I have just been informed by my electrician that we have to bond our gas pipe. The problem is that the gas meter is within a housing on the front external wall of my house and apparently he has to connect this back to my fuse box etc which at the farthest point on the rear of the house. Running this through the house is not an option, and the only opther idea he has is to run a conduit right around the perimeter of the property which will be an eyesore! Are there any other options? Can it just be earthed straight to the ground or is this something different?

The method your electrician has suggested is quite a common one, if you cant get to it through the house.

Reply to Gas pipe earth bond. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net