Discuss General rant about the standards of driving these days! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

No hard shoulder
Ah, another of my pet hates. Back in the good old days if you had a problem you got on the hard shoulder. With these current 'smart motorways' you are just stuck there in a live lane hoping nothing ploughs/plows (you pick) into you. I wonder how many serious accidents there will be before they realise it's a bad idea.

I started my advanced driver training but never completed the course due to illness but RoadCraft is a good book to read and to follow, what I learnt in the the hours of training I still use today, to be honest I really need to get my advance driving certification.

I started my advanced driver training but never completed the course due to illness but RoadCraft is a good book to read and to follow, what I learnt in the the hours of training I still use today, to be honest I really need to get my advance driving certification.
will that allow you to out bully black cab drivers? if so, it's worth every penny.

In the past i have broken down on hard shoulder on M6 north of Brum, it is a truly scary experience, its the fastest wheel change i have ever done, its quite hard to change a wheel when looking at oncoming traffic, yet you feel the next vehicle is going to wipe you out
You must be mad. One of the quickest ways to get killed.

Leave the vehicle next time safely, and call for breakdown service, preferably by the emergency phones.

Heavy goods vehicles etc, are magnetically drawn to broken down vehicles on the hard shoulder.

You must be mad. One of the quickest ways to get killed.

Leave the vehicle next time safely, and call for breakdown service, preferably by the emergency phones.

Heavy goods vehicles etc, are magnetically drawn to broken down vehicles on the hard shoulder.
I know, cannot help but conclude its OK for breakdown guy to get killed from your reply, eeekkkk

I know, cannot help but conclude its OK for breakdown guy to get killed from your reply, eeekkkk

No, they do get killed, unfortunately. But they have better training, understanding, hi viz equipment, usually a large highly visible vehicle with emergency style lighting strategically placed, and contact with the Highways Service for support.

I would agree with that. A few years ago I had a blowout on the M3. Front nearside tyre gave out while I was in the outside lane just as I was about to overtake a car. First, it scared the sh*t out of me, 2nd I didn't realise just how hard it is to stop a Vivaro with only one tyre attached to the wheel and 3rd, I realised just how dangerous it is at the side of a motorway. I had to wait for an ATS guy to come out and put a new tyre on. It was company policy to stop us from changing wheels as we hadn't been trained!

advice from highways agency is to get out of the vehicle, retreat to the embankment, call for assistance.crushed metal can be replaced.bodies can't. ( and don't forget to take the kids and dogs as well.)

They actually say to leave pets in the vehicle, can't see a lot of people doing that. Guess after about half hour waiting for recovery, dogs might get frightened and leg it across the motorway.

How do youngsters afford the cars they drive? When I passed my test I had a 10 year old Mini - old type Mini.
They don't own the car.

The same youngsters are the ones stealing smokes of their mam when they get home because they're struggling with the finance payments.

If you want to be really worried about the state of driving in the UK you should get a motorbike.

You then realise that these motorists are are actually just murderers who are trying to kill you at every opportunity.
there's 2 sides here.
1. the dopey car driver who can't see you.
2. the daft biker who passes a line of slow or stationary traffic on the wrong side of the road and then wonders why Eddie Stobart's front bumpers are so hard.

advice from highways agency is to get out of the vehicle, retreat to the embankment, call for assistance.crushed metal can be replaced.bodies can't. ( and don't forget to take the kids and dogs as well.)
What about the wife?

Ooops. Didn't notice your post Baddegg :(

Reply to General rant about the standards of driving these days! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net