Discuss general rant....ish in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm pretty sure I would be going for a wet tea cloth or fire blanket !!! Not a switch!
Pretty sure I'd be slapping the long haired Hitler for burning my chips!!! :lol:

This is the thing with the BGB, OSG etc, they're guides. Although they can be used for proving non-compliance it's down to how the individual interprets the rules. I'm with the majority on this one, isolation should be local and accessible.

Although I've been in the trade a short time and still learning the ropes I have noticed that a lot of sparkies employed by builders tend to lean towards their building mates attitude. Was contemplating not posting this last sentenve but, Meh, it's Friday...

Why is it that electric cookers seem to need emergency switching in case of chip pan fires, whereas gas cookers don't?
Esspecially considering that with gas, once the supply is isolated, the source of heat is removed immediately, whereas with electric cookers, it will take some time for the source of heat to cool down.
By the time the ring is cool enough, the house will have burnt down.
Then there's the advisabillity of placing the means of isolation so close to the source of danger.
If I was to install a means of isolation in case of chip pan fires, I'd place it by the entrance/exit to the kitchen.

This is the thing with the BGB, OSG etc, they're guides. Although they can be used for proving non-compliance it's down to how the individual interprets the rules. I'm with the majority on this one, isolation should be local and accessible.

I agree entirely with what you say, I always fit local isolation as I feel this is good practice, the OP was asking if it broke any regs though, which technically it doesn't as far as BS7671 goes, unless it falls foul of any manufacturers instructions.

Best practice is something entirely different, and may be down to personal choices rather than absolute regulations.

I agree entirely with what you say, I always fit local isolation as I feel this is good practice, the OP was asking if it broke any regs though, which technically it doesn't as far as BS7671 goes, unless it falls foul of any manufacturers instructions.

Best practice is something entirely different, and may be down to personal choices rather than absolute regulations.

Agree too, would always fit locally
Don't see much point in fitting near the CCU, why not just use MCB.

Anyone any thoughts on the reg numbers above, could they not be seen as a requirement for local cooker switch

Unless I've missed something, the only appliance that has got a 13amp fuse is the microwave, are you saying that the washing machine/fridge etc has only got a 16amp RCBO for protection at the CU? I'm pretty sure the manufacturer will want a 13amp fuse, either in a plug top or fcu.

Why is it that electric cookers seem to need emergency switching in case of chip pan fires, whereas gas cookers don't?
Esspecially considering that with gas, once the supply is isolated, the source of heat is removed immediately, whereas with electric cookers, it will take some time for the source of heat to cool down.
By the time the ring is cool enough, the house will have burnt down.
Then there's the advisabillity of placing the means of isolation so close to the source of danger.
If I was to install a means of isolation in case of chip pan fires, I'd place it by the entrance/exit to the kitchen.

Also, in this type of emergency, probably 100% of people would go immediately to the cooker controls to remove the heat source because this is a very familiar action to them, whereas thinking about where the electric isolator switch is, during a panic situation, is not.

Agree too, would always fit locally
Don't see much point in fitting near the CCU, why not just use MCB.

Anyone any thoughts on the reg numbers above, could they not be seen as a requirement for local cooker switch

As a domestic cooker would not fall under the scope of BS EN 60204, therefore the regs you quote are for emergency switching and not applicable in this case

These normally fall under the umbrella of Standards , BS EN 50304:2009+A1:2010, BS EN 60350:2009

Reply to general rant....ish in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net