Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Generator Voltage Failure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. normanton

normanton Regular EF Member

Tested one of our generators this morning, only about 76KW engine set. Started up fine, took the load of the building fine, connected a load bank, fine. Voltage readings all 240ish, temperature as expected, oil temperature as expected, coolant temperature as expected. 1.5hours later. Chug chug chug. Generator fails. Switches back to mains supply.
    Fault on genny is “alternator volts fail”.
    My first instinct is failed AVR. Runs genny again off load, readings are 240,241,242v (3phase obviously). So now what? Lol.
    Possibly a faulty alternator? Is it worth checking the stator winding? I’m electrically biased and my mechanical knowledge is basic I’ll prewarn you. Thanks in advance.

2. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

What percentage loading did the bank and building put on the generator.

3. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Does the standby set have any bushes that may be worn down to far and not making contact on the alternator slip rings?

4. elsparko

elsparko Regular EF Member

mate, its saturday get yourself down the beer garden and worry about this on monday

• Like Like x 1
  5. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

LOL, it's POETS day, you have started early

6. elsparko

elsparko Regular EF Member

so it is LOL

7. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Top Poster Of Month

Here we go again.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. MDJ

MDJ The Muppet Police Forum Mentor

Like I have said hundreds of times here, the Jocks are constantly pi$$ed lol, say no more pmsl

9. normanton

Our compliance requires us to run them at 110%. But I think we were just short of that so it was approx 100%.

10. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Sorry Bushes should read BRUSHES

11. davesparks

davesparks Forum Mentor

‘Chug chug chug’ to me suggests that maybe the engine has an issue maybe fuel filter or the water separator hasn’t been emptied in a while.

12. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Ah yes Dave, couldn't really be electrical, if the Prime mover is playing up, fuel problems, injectors blocked, filter blocked, over heating, needs a diesel Mechanic to have a butcher I would think.

13. loplug

loplug Electrician's Arms

Sounds like a engine side failure. Because of the alternater fault I would check all the electrical connections related to it. If it is a stand by set I’m guessing the trickle charge set up will replenish the battery’s and perhaps hide the altonator fault if it’s only ran for short periods

14. normanton

Yes mate it’s a standby set. 24v starter battery which is charged via a 24v rectifier (from the engine control cab).
    I see what you’re saying though.

15. normanton

I think that’s a good idea checking the fuel filters etc. It’s in a remote area and probably runs for around 4-5 hours a year, if that