Discuss GFCI, Narrow box, old home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J12345

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I had an electrician install GFCI receptacles (as per their recommendation) due to my homes older electrical wiring.

I also have asbestos in my walls so I want to avoid ripping existing boxes out and replacing the 2 with larger ones.

I drywalled over the existing wall in my sons bedroom and extended the boxes with extenders (as pictured, extension around GFCI receptacle to show clearance).

I am aware back stabbing wires isn’t typically recommended. It is what the electricians did and wonder if it creates more clearance here?

The fit was tight when they did it but the insert shrinks the gap even more as it goes inside the walls box.

I also have considered finding a smaller GFCI receptacle. I prefer not to rely solely on electrical tape to provide protection here as is.

Maybe the clearance is fine?

Hoping someone is able to offer some insight.

Thank you

TL;DR
Narrow electrical box, GFCI is tight, arcing? Fire hazard? Is it ok? Remove box and replace with larger? Asbestos in walls.

Attachments

• 70933639915__EF98FA19-C8F0-4444-9684-46B1155623CC.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 4
Hello,

I had an electrician install GFCI receptacles (as per their recommendation) due to my homes older electrical wiring.

I also have asbestos in my walls so I want to avoid ripping existing boxes out and replacing the 2 with larger ones.

I drywalled over the existing wall in my sons bedroom and extended the boxes with extenders (as pictured, extension around GFCI receptacle to show clearance).

I am aware back stabbing wires isn’t typically recommended. It is what the electricians did and wonder if it creates more clearance here?

The fit was tight when they did it but the insert shrinks the gap even more as it goes inside the walls box.

I also have considered finding a smaller GFCI receptacle. I prefer not to rely solely on electrical tape to provide protection here as is.

Maybe the clearance is fine?

Hoping someone is able to offer some insight.

Thank you
As far as the stabs in the back I wouldn’t recommend doing that because it will cause problems eventually. It’s easier to take out the old box and install the correct size box.

As far as the stabs in the back I wouldn’t recommend doing that because it will cause problems eventually. It’s easier to take out the old box and install the correct size box.
Thank you, I appreciate you responding.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to GFCI, Narrow box, old home in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net