• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Going Self-Employed on sites. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm currently working with an agency but just as PAYE. I'm waiting on my UTR number to register for CIS. Just have a few queries to clear up.
I've been told by the lads on-site that I'm not employed by the agency but by the payroll company I use, so would I need to tell the payroll company or the agency I'm going CIS? Or both?
It's my understanding that the payroll will deal with your tax deductions and all I need to do is pay my national insurance?
Any advice on this subject would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Who pays the Employers NI, you or the payroll company?
To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being employed by a payroll company.
Anyway, to answer your question, you would have to speak to your agency, and they will then tell the payroll company, that is, if the agency will allow you to go CIS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your NI contributions are deducted via your tax for self employed. Have you an accountant?

Whomever is paying you via the CIS scheme, is responsible for deducting tax at source.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being employed by a payroll company.
I presume he's referring to an umbrella company. If so, it is very common to be an employee of the umbrella company and not the agency for agency work. Needless to say there are tax reasons for this (not all of which the HMRC might consider compliant or lawful).

Reply to Going Self-Employed on sites. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back