Discuss Grade A ld2 system in self contained flats in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rhian_o

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am the freeholder of my flat. There are 2 other flats. In the building, it’s a converted terrace house.

The council have instructed me to install a grade a ld2 system. I have no idea what this means. Can anyone explain what the requirements are to appease the council?

I’m a teacher and don’t earn much money. I’m very worried about being able to carry out the works.

Many thanks

You own the whole building or are you a leaseholder of your flat or do you share part of the freehold.

Last edited:

Grade D2 Fire Alarm Systems (BS5839-6)​

As specified by BS5839-6, a Grade D2 system comprises of one or more mains-powered detectors, each with an integral standby power supply

As specified by BS5839-6, a Grade D2 system comprises of one or more mains-powered detectors, each with an integral standby power supply consisting of a user-replaceable battery or batteries. All of the below devices are suitable for use as part of a BS5839-6 Grade D2 fire alarm system.

In what way have the Council issued a notice of sorts, asked, instructed you to install an LD2 system.?
Have the Council also asked the other 2 flats or have they already got such a system?
Has this request been made to you as part Freeholder or as Leaseholder or occupier?

I suspect this has been classed as an HMO, a Grade A LD2 system is essentially a 'proper' fire alarm for want of a better word incorporating a control panel, automatic detection and manual call points. How have the council become involved.

Grade D2 Fire Alarm Systems (BS5839-6)​

As specified by BS5839-6, a Grade D2 system comprises of one or more mains-powered detectors, each with an integral standby power supply
The system required is grade a (eg fire system with a pannel)

You are referring to grade d (mains interlinked eg aicos or sutch )

It is important not to confuse theese

It's unusual for a 3 flat converted house to need a grade A system, though it may be that they are only interested in covering the communal area. Separate dwellings would normally have their own system.

How many stories is the building?

Unless it's been classified as an HMO, I'm not sure how the council would get involved to require a specific fire alarm system?

It's certainly worth getting in writing exactly what they require. There are two separate things: Grades, and Categories.
Grade A is a full control panel setup, which needs to be maintained and can be costly to retrofit.

Grades

Grade A
: A fire detection and fire alarm system, which incorporates CIE conforming to
BS EN 54-2 and power supply equipment conforming to BS EN 54-4, and which is designed and
installed in accordance with all the recommendations of BS 5839-1:2017, Section 1
to Section 4

Grade D1: A system of one or more mains-powered detectors (see
3.12), each with a tamper-proof standby supply consisting of a battery or batteries

Grade D2: A system of one or more mains-powered detectors (see
3.12), each with an integral standby supply consisting of a user-replaceable battery or batteries.

Categories:

Category LD2
: a system incorporating detectors in all circulation areas that form part of the escape routes
from the premises, and in all specified rooms or areas that present a high fire risk to occupants, including any
kitchen and the principal habitable room

Category LD3: a system incorporating detectors in all circulation areas that form part of the escape routes
from the premises

BS 5839-6, the current standard, only recommends a Grade A system (for existing premises, not new builds), when its a 4 storey house or more, or supported housing.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am the freeholder of my flat. There are 2 other flats. In the building, it’s a converted terrace house.

The council have instructed me to install a grade a ld2 system. I have no idea what this means. Can anyone explain what the requirements are to appease the council?

I’m a teacher and don’t earn much money. I’m very worried about being able to carry out the works.

Many thanks
dude if you dont know dont do it cos your liable if someone dies get a proper fire alarm company in ....DONT TOUCH IT>>>>>>>

Reply to Grade A ld2 system in self contained flats in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net