Discuss Grenfell tower electrical "expert" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The cause of the fire is irrelevant, although it's required for completeness in the investigation.

I think the cause(ignition event) of the fire is highly relevant, especially when the fire it begins can spread and affect so many people as in a HMO or block of flats.

I say this because I think that some equipment - let us stick for now with electro-mechanical like a fridge or freezer - become less and less safe as they wear out . So, if I ruled the world, permanently energised and unattended items such as refrigeration, anything with a bare element air cooled electric heater (ie a tumble dryer but not necessarily a washing machine) would have a 'safe life defined' and stamped on it or better a device inside it which kills its function after a suitable warning period.

In our household the TD, WM, DW get changed every 3 years and fridge-freezer and freezer every 5 years. Amortised over these periods I reckon such equipments have given excellent returns on capital. eg: Our latest FF cost £350. So 350/(365 x 5) = 1/5 = 20p a day - which in this day and age is pittance.

I can see where you're coming from, but wouldn't this just cause a race to the bottom quality wise?

Manufacturers would be even less interested in quality (read safety?) than they are now as the parts would only need to last a few years. Prices would inevitably drop and even the premium brands would have to go in the same direction. Why buy a Miele tumble dryer at £1000 if you're going to bin it in 3 years?

I could see this actually causing the opposite effect to that intended.

I can see where you're coming from, but wouldn't this just cause a race to the bottom quality wise?

Manufacturers would be even less interested in quality (read safety?) than they are now as the parts would only need to last a few years. Prices would inevitably drop and even the premium brands would have to go in the same direction. Why buy a Miele tumble dryer at £1000 if you're going to bin it in 3 years?

I could see this actually causing the opposite effect to that intended.
Someone living in a council allocated accommodation would not be buying a £1000 Miele tumble dryer, the person that buys an item at that price knows how to look after it as at least they are able to read the instruction manual supplied with the product.

I know its the DM but the scum that crawled out of the woodwork is unbelievable and with names that off the top of my head I could'nt spell......
Not sure what your spelling problems have to do with it, but a few in a million is not unbelievable at all, in fact it seems a bit low and I'm wondering whether they screened most people out earlier, or a lot of the cases were dropped. Think of the result as a shake-down of opportunist desperate fraudsters out of the million or two people living in west London.
The one that sticks in my throat though is the person who siphoned off the funds who was supposed to be looking after the money for the other people. Does make you wonder how much siphoning is going on where it's not scrutinised as much, as that is one person in a few hundred who would have had financial roles in the aftermath.

The spelling problems are in regards to the fact that the ones that are allowed in to the Uk should be making it a better place to live, not robbing us blind.

The spelling problems are in regards to the fact that the ones that are allowed in to the Uk should be making it a better place to live, not robbing us blind.
I think you need to go on a crash course in statistics before you can comment on this really. At a guess 25% of london is foreign born, probably half of those have names you struggle to spell so let's say a million. And you appear to be implying 13 out of a million people are convicted fraudsters is disproportionately high?
And assuming you don't struggle to spell "Jenny McDonagh" then that's one person out of only hundreds with a duty of care and a financial responsibility over this, so I'm not sure where that leave us as the biggest problem (although my opinion is the structures of power are the problem, not the people)

People would struggle to spell my name, but when my parents came to the UK they did their best to make it a better place as they where grateful for somewhere to live in peace, a lot of the new "incomers" are here to just line their own pockets, do you have the stats for that?

do you have the stats for that?
no but your post was 100% innuendo, I'll agree there are so many problems with this country and so many positive things, but I don't think 13 out of a million people are fraudsters is really going to win any awards for being anomalies.
I'd rather shine a light on the people in power than the people at the bottom. DM is not the only structure of power keeping the many in order by keeping us blaming each other.

no but your post was 100% innuendo, I'll agree there are so many problems with this country and so many positive things, but I don't think 13 out of a million people are fraudsters is really going to win any awards for being anomalies.
I'd rather shine a light on the people in power than the people at the bottom. DM is not the only structure of power keeping the many in order by keeping us blaming each other.
I lived 5 mines walk from the Grenfell Tower for 11 years there was a lot of subletting going on in the area, I bet you don't live in London yourself as there are so many fiddles going on by certain people to gain an advantage, I remember given up on a disabled permit for my Mum, just saying.

I lived 5 mines walk from the Grenfell Tower for 11 years there was a lot of subletting going on in the area, I bet you don't live in London yourself as there are so many fiddles going on by certain people to gain an advantage, I remember given up on a disabled permit for my Mum, just saying.
your bet is irrelevant and admittedly my council owned flat was Westminster rather than K&C however everyone I knew there was lovely. But anyway we can agree to disagree! This thread is about the electrical expert anyway.

Reply to Grenfell tower electrical "expert" in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net