Discuss Ground floor lighting trips out mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

always the possibility of a rogue MCB. is there another 6A on the same RCD?

I don't know if there is a spare I'll check and see if one can be swapped over just to test it. Should I turn all the CU off and do I just pull the breaker out and click back in to test with a different one ?

no. you turn off main switch, then move the circuit wires to a different MCB. if it's on the other RCD, you need to move the N to the appropriate N bar.

a better idea would be to clamp the L coming out the MCB and see what current is flowing. for this you'd need a clamp meter.

I don't know if there is a spare I'll check and see if one can be swapped over just to test it. Should I turn all the CU off and do I just pull the breaker out and click back in to test with a different one ?

I would get a sparky in as soon as you can.

I think that as long as you have not got a fault to earth and the RCDis not faulty one of the drivers could be faulty due to the reason I gave in post 15 or heat damage causing a L-N at a lampholder. What has thrown me is that you say it sometimes trips when the lights are all off or do you mean when you turn them off. Just to change the MCB to a 16A one is not going to find the problem and could make the installation dangerouse or non compliant with the regs.

no. you turn off main switch, then move the circuit wires to a different MCB. if it's on the other RCD, you need to move the N to the appropriate N bar.

a better idea would be to clamp the L coming out the MCB and see what current is flowing. for this you'd need a clamp meter.
This would at least tell you your F.L.C. and then do a installation restance test this will rule out a earth fault.

OK, I thought I could have picked up a new 6amp breaker and just replaced it in same place but guess not then . Sparky that wired all house now not answering his phone. He's had his money and now he probably not interested so will give him benefit of doubt and wait couple days more otherwise I will get building control to chase him up and let them know the wiring needs independent testing through them as I feel it is unsafe for me and my 5 young children. Maybe that will give him a jolt to get up and make it all safe as should have been.

Without knowing your competency and experience working with electrics, I would advise NOT to take the cover off the CU to swap cables onto a spare breaker.
Safe isolation or not, this is a job for a qualified spark.

That said, you don’t need a spare mcb... just swap the downstairs circuit with maybe upstairs lights circuit and see if the fault moves over too. Then you’ll know if it’s the wiring or a weak breaker. (Swap the neutrals over too, if they’re on different rcds)

Are you certain the breaker trips even with all switches off? This would rule out any lamp or driver.
Is there anything in the circuit that has a permanent supply from this circuit that isn’t a light? Someone has already suggested an outside PIR. What about doorbell transformer, smoke alarms, burglar alarm, electronic switches such as dimmers?

There is smoke alarms hard wired to each floor and a heat alarm in kitchen. On the same floor there is one smoke alarm and one heat alarm in different places.

They seem to operate fine by looks of it.
Did have a problem with them where they kept chirping but guy said it was a loose connector and pushed it in real tight and chirping stopped.

Nothing else powered by circuit I don't think other than lights .
Outside light bulb fitted now and linked to the circuit but nothing tripped just yet and I've left everything switched off now and come back home so will see if it flips down again in the morning, which it more likely will.

I think the only thing you could do yourself is check the wiring at the switches to see if any cables are damaged or loose . ( you may have already done this )
ensure the power is off when you do this .
you have a short somewhere and it may be a cable thats damaged by a screw cutting the insulation, possibly at a light switch.
it could also be damage by a nail or screw through a cable if you have had other work done.
If you are not competent with electricity I wouldn't advise opening the consumer unit.
despite you switching the power off , via the mains switch at the unit you can still be in danger of touching live cables/contacts and slight chance or arcing . also if you cross neutrals you will give yourself more heartache.

OK thanks for your input all, I have asked the sparky to come back and sort it out. He said he will pop round tomorrow so will see what he has to say about it.

I've not checked switches for loose connections but I'll get him to rectify all issues hopefully.
I'll update tomorrow sometime .

Thanks again.

Reply to Ground floor lighting trips out mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net