Discuss Gunsmith needs to wire a DPDT switch! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi dude,will this rig use limit switches to reverse direction?

The reason i ask,is i have made a rig up,to do a similar task,and because of its' repetitive nature,i simplified the need for switching. You should be able to have the motor running continuously,and have the "stroke" cycle,achieved using small pulleys,cranks or a cam.
This,and don't laugh,is made easy,by using childrens mechanical construction kits,such as meccano.
There are other self-build childrens kits,which are strong enough for the size of motor you have shown.

The benefit of this,apart from simplicity,is it is easy to change stroke length,etc,should you change from action parts,to stocks or tie-dying tee-shirts!

Also,if it is being left unattended for long periods,and you are unsure of the safe-guards on your 230 volt motor,there are lots of DC motors,coupled with a suitable PSU,which could avoid the worry.

If you can stop a Baikal double discharging,the above will be doddle! Good luck :icon12:

Ah! Some synchronous motors will set off in the opposite direction each time they're started. Others use some sort of internal mechanical device to set their direction of rotation.

You obviously have more experience than me with this type of motor. What you say makes sense, it's only got 2 wires and no cap so it must have some built in function that auto reverses it each time it starts. If this is the case then the DPDT switching arrangement is unnecessary, just a standard single pole on/off switch or just using the DPDT switch in that configuration would work fine.

The wiring diagram you've shown fraggle won't cause damage but it's probably not going to achieve anything more than wiring it as normal on/off. Maybe just as an experiment wire the motor using a choc block to a cable with a plug on it and try plugging it in an out a few times to see if it consistently auto reverses each time power is applied. It would be much safer if you connect the earth wire to the body of the motor as well before experimenting.

Reply to Gunsmith needs to wire a DPDT switch! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net