Discuss Handy tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a pliers type crimper, for cutting 3.5 or 4mm pins, it cuts them and does not ruin the thread.

a mate off mine at work has the smaller set and they are very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-39071-R...197&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=ck+side+cutters+4mm

they have holes in them for 3.5 and 4mm pins

51PAQ7E04UL._SL1000_.jpg

i dont like them notches in em though for 1.5 & 2.5...unnecessary nonsense....i just flick insulation off with the snips...
Don't you risk scoring the conductor doing it like that? I use the CK's pictured and the notches work perfectly every time without marking the conductor. The 'anvil' for closing up doubled over conductors is great, too, although I'd prefer that feature to be on the snipe-nose pliers instead, as I use those to bend the conductor before closing up.

Don't you risk scoring the conductor doing it like that? I use the CK's pictured and the notches work perfectly every time without marking the conductor. The 'anvil' for closing up doubled over conductors is great, too, although I'd prefer that feature to be on the snipe-nose pliers instead, as I use those to bend the conductor before closing up.
no....you learn to gauge how much pressure to apply....then just flick it off...(the insulation that is)...

At college, we was told NOT to use side cutters to strip the insulation from cable as this could damage the copper!! They told us to only use an electricians knife...then one of the tutors, who actually worked on the tools said "in the real world, you will find it quicker and easier to do it with side cutters and the more you use them, the more you will gauge how much pressure you will need to apply".

So as Glenn says, just flick it off....I dont even think about it any more, its just as natural as having a pee..lol

At college, we was told NOT to use side cutters to strip the insulation from cable as this could damage the copper!! They told us to only use an electricians knife...then one of the tutors, who actually worked on the tools said "in the real world, you will find it quicker and easier to do it with side cutters and the more you use them, the more you will gauge how much pressure you will need to apply".

So as Glenn says, just flick it off....I dont even think about it any more, its just as natural as having a pee..lol
wonder if theres any female sparks in here?

i use the snips with notches...guarantees no indents on the copper! and has the double over crimpy bit on the underside! oh and can cut down screws with minimal effort!

handy tools...definitely the re-threading tool.
i just got a 36v BOSCH 3 function drill...dont know how ive lived without it!
Rods..are a must!
Cable roller.
my tool bag is a backpack, love this because i always have two hands spare, and the mobile phone pouch thing actually helps me to balance steps on my shoulder without holding them

i use the snips with notches...guarantees no indents on the copper! and has the double over crimpy bit on the underside! oh and can cut down screws with minimal effort!

Up here in the North, we is ard as nails and we just bite em off....lol

Just see Glenn's self portrait avatar....no teeth left..lol

when working up a ladder, always have a hammer with you. never know when a plumber will walk past below.

Reply to Handy tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net