Discuss Happy Place in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jaydebruyne

I totally get why a lot of 'real' electricians are pi**ed off about people getting Part P and thinking they're electricians. I am well aware it is NOT an electricians qualification, it is purely building regulations awareness to meet a certain level of understanding.

I apologise on behalf of everyone who is misled or naive enough to think otherwise.

I also understand how aggravating it is that training providers are advising new students (like me) that all you need to be a domestic electric installer is Part P & 17th and to join a competency scheme. To these people, I' like to say a big F*** Y**!

What I dislike is the blatant disregard to people like me and segregating the 'real' from (the 'fake') those who are getting their Part P and 17th to better themselves and maybe open a doorway into becoming a better trades person (or the start of their electrician career).

It's not only discouraging, it's near on bullying.

I'm a member of the Tiling and Plumbing sister forums and you don't see those people slagging off those who are getting City & Guilds qualified with technical certs (like me) and going out trading as a plumber, even without much experience. Yes they have had a couple of posts regarding the technical certs, but they're short lived and all that remains is those same people being encouraging and supportive.

Yes, I do understand that it's annoying/frustrating/infuriating and it makes light of your profession, but instead of beating these people down, why not do something positive and, oh I dunno, help them to become better at what they want to do? After all, isn't this what forums are for? To share problems, to learn, to share with others who are in the same field?

I'm disappointed by my short lived experience of this forum and only hope it isn't always like this because I really like the other two portals.

By the way, if any of you fully fledged electricians are in the London area, I'm looking for a 1 day a week placement. I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to let me tag a long to some jobs, would you? haha

the main difference, i think you'll find, is that it's extremely rare, in fact nigh on impossible for a plumber, plasterer or tiler to kill someone by doing sub-standard work. this is one of the main reasons why learning to become a competent electrician takes so long.

the main difference, i think you'll find, is that it's extremely rare, in fact nigh on impossible for a plumber, plasterer or tiler to kill someone by doing sub-standard work. this is one of the main reasons why learning to become a competent electrician takes so long.

Understood. Completely. But the same principle applies. And gas kills people all the time, they're just on top of it where they're not with the electrical industry.

But separating people on a forum based by level of competency is a tad harsh.

I'd like to know I can ask questions on here and feel confident I'll get an encouraging reply. Not read a barrage of 'oh here's another one' replies.

I want to learn. I'm not in it for a quick buck. The only way I can learn and get experience is from experienced electricians.

I was being sarcastic. And what's wrong with having an opinion? So now because I've voiced an opinion which challenges some people on here, I've written myself off?

As far as I’m concerned you were written off before you even started this thread.

No papers, you’re not an electrician, end of!
You are NOT competent to do any electrical work what so ever!

There’s no such thing as Part P qualified, limited scope, domestic installer or any of the other crap bits of paper sold by the so called training centres.

You serve your time to become an electrician. There is no bloody short cut!

PS if anyone wants to start an argument I'm in a worse mood than Glenn could ever achieve.

As far as I’m concerned you were written off before you even started this thread.

No papers, you’re not an electrician, end of!
You are NOT competent to do any electrical work what so ever!

There’s no such thing as Part P qualified, limited scope, domestic installer or any of the other crap bits of paper sold by the likes of the so called training centres.

You serve your time to become an electrician. There is no bloody short cut!

PS if anyone wants to start an argument I'm in a worse mood than Glenn could ever achieve.

Tra la la la laaaa la la la laaaaa

Cheers for the advice!

donkey.jpg
Tra la la la laaaa la la la laaaaa

Cheers for the advice!

nigh on impossible for a plumber, plasterer or tiler to kill someone by doing sub-standard work.

Tilers I agree, plumbers not so sure. Incorrect connections between say overflows and wastes, and incorrect storage cistern connections amongst others, can cause nasty contamination scenarios that have in the past caused outbreaks of fatal infectious diseases. Take any modern day location where water supply/sanitation and electrical supply are of a poor standard and compare the associated death rates. OK that is stretching the point a bit and it might be much harder to gain a sufficient understanding of electricity to handle it safely, but I don't like to write plumbers off like that. Especially as one of my mates is one.

Reply to Happy Place in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net