Discuss Happy Place in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jaydebruyne

I totally get why a lot of 'real' electricians are pi**ed off about people getting Part P and thinking they're electricians. I am well aware it is NOT an electricians qualification, it is purely building regulations awareness to meet a certain level of understanding.

I apologise on behalf of everyone who is misled or naive enough to think otherwise.

I also understand how aggravating it is that training providers are advising new students (like me) that all you need to be a domestic electric installer is Part P & 17th and to join a competency scheme. To these people, I' like to say a big F*** Y**!

What I dislike is the blatant disregard to people like me and segregating the 'real' from (the 'fake') those who are getting their Part P and 17th to better themselves and maybe open a doorway into becoming a better trades person (or the start of their electrician career).

It's not only discouraging, it's near on bullying.

I'm a member of the Tiling and Plumbing sister forums and you don't see those people slagging off those who are getting City & Guilds qualified with technical certs (like me) and going out trading as a plumber, even without much experience. Yes they have had a couple of posts regarding the technical certs, but they're short lived and all that remains is those same people being encouraging and supportive.

Yes, I do understand that it's annoying/frustrating/infuriating and it makes light of your profession, but instead of beating these people down, why not do something positive and, oh I dunno, help them to become better at what they want to do? After all, isn't this what forums are for? To share problems, to learn, to share with others who are in the same field?

I'm disappointed by my short lived experience of this forum and only hope it isn't always like this because I really like the other two portals.

By the way, if any of you fully fledged electricians are in the London area, I'm looking for a 1 day a week placement. I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to let me tag a long to some jobs, would you? haha

the main difference, i think you'll find, is that it's extremely rare, in fact nigh on impossible for a plumber, plasterer or tiler to kill someone by doing sub-standard work. this is one of the main reasons why learning to become a competent electrician takes so long.

the main difference, i think you'll find, is that it's extremely rare, in fact nigh on impossible for a plumber, plasterer or tiler to kill someone by doing sub-standard work. this is one of the main reasons why learning to become a competent electrician takes so long.

Understood. Completely. But the same principle applies. And gas kills people all the time, they're just on top of it where they're not with the electrical industry.

But separating people on a forum based by level of competency is a tad harsh.

I'd like to know I can ask questions on here and feel confident I'll get an encouraging reply. Not read a barrage of 'oh here's another one' replies.

I want to learn. I'm not in it for a quick buck. The only way I can learn and get experience is from experienced electricians.

I was being sarcastic. And what's wrong with having an opinion? So now because I've voiced an opinion which challenges some people on here, I've written myself off?

As far as I’m concerned you were written off before you even started this thread.

No papers, you’re not an electrician, end of!
You are NOT competent to do any electrical work what so ever!

There’s no such thing as Part P qualified, limited scope, domestic installer or any of the other crap bits of paper sold by the so called training centres.

You serve your time to become an electrician. There is no bloody short cut!

PS if anyone wants to start an argument I'm in a worse mood than Glenn could ever achieve.

As far as I’m concerned you were written off before you even started this thread.

No papers, you’re not an electrician, end of!
You are NOT competent to do any electrical work what so ever!

There’s no such thing as Part P qualified, limited scope, domestic installer or any of the other crap bits of paper sold by the likes of the so called training centres.

You serve your time to become an electrician. There is no bloody short cut!

PS if anyone wants to start an argument I'm in a worse mood than Glenn could ever achieve.

Tra la la la laaaa la la la laaaaa

Cheers for the advice!

donkey.jpg
Tra la la la laaaa la la la laaaaa

Cheers for the advice!

nigh on impossible for a plumber, plasterer or tiler to kill someone by doing sub-standard work.

Tilers I agree, plumbers not so sure. Incorrect connections between say overflows and wastes, and incorrect storage cistern connections amongst others, can cause nasty contamination scenarios that have in the past caused outbreaks of fatal infectious diseases. Take any modern day location where water supply/sanitation and electrical supply are of a poor standard and compare the associated death rates. OK that is stretching the point a bit and it might be much harder to gain a sufficient understanding of electricity to handle it safely, but I don't like to write plumbers off like that. Especially as one of my mates is one.

I totally get why a lot of 'real' electricians are pi**ed off about people getting Part P and thinking they're electricians. I am well aware it is NOT an electricians qualification, it is purely building regulations awareness to meet a certain level of understanding.

I apologise on behalf of everyone who is misled or naive enough to think otherwise.

I also understand how aggravating it is that training providers are advising new students (like me) that all you need to be a domestic electric installer is Part P & 17th and to join a competency scheme. To these people, I' like to say a big F*** Y**!

I think you need to realise you have been sold a pup the 17th edition course is an add on course to core qualifications and only teaches you how to read and use a book and then answer questions about it while still reading it, take a look at the course requirements on the C&G site it's a pity the C&G don't stand by them it would solve a lot of problems on here with acrimonious posts from people who don't think they are being treated fairly

What I dislike is the blatant disregard to people like me and segregating the 'real' from (the 'fake') those who are getting their Part P and 17th to better themselves and maybe open a doorway into becoming a better trades person (or the start of their electrician career).

I just don't think you get it, what do you expect from a course lasting lasting a few weeks when a lot on here have done 150 - 300 weeks or more training to become QUALIFIED

I'm a member of the Tiling and Plumbing sister forums and you don't see those people slagging off those who are getting City & Guilds qualified with technical certs (like me) and going out trading as a plumber, even without much experience. Yes they have had a couple of posts regarding the technical certs, but they're short lived and all that remains is those same people being encouraging and supportive.

You have a high opinion of the 2393 and 2382 unfortunately on here you may have noticed we don't
Being encouraging and supportive I would suggest some further study take a look at the C&G 2357 or 2365

Yes, I do understand that it's annoying/frustrating/infuriating and it makes light of your profession, but instead of beating these people down, why not do something positive and, oh I dunno, help them to become better at what they want to do? After all, isn't this what forums are for? To share problems, to learn, to share with others who are in the same field?

See above

I'm disappointed by my short lived experience of this forum and only hope it isn't always like this because I really like the other two portals.

By the way, if any of you fully fledged electricians are in the London area, I'm looking for a 1 day a week placement. I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to let me tag a long to some jobs, would you? haha

Think you may have shot yourself in the foot

Understood. Completely. But the same principle applies. And gas kills people all the time, they're just on top of it where they're not with the electrical industry.

As a plumber have you got a gas qualification if not why not, I believe gas safe like their scheme members to have "real" qualifications to support their membership and prove competence. The electrical industry is the victim of poor knee jerk legislation of the previous government that has opened the floodgates and lowered the industry standards and spawned a whole new money making juggernaut of which you have become a part

But separating people on a forum based by level of competency is a tad harsh.

What is competence and how do you or anybody else measure it if it is by qualification what is the required standard to be an "Electrician"

I'd like to know I can ask questions on here and feel confident I'll get an encouraging reply. Not read a barrage of 'oh here's another one' replies.

If you are asking college level questions then you will get short shrift

I want to learn. I'm not in it for a quick buck. The only way I can learn and get experience is from experienced electricians.

You can also learn from studying for a core qualification (see earlier comment) if you are serious

Tilers I agree, plumbers not so sure. Incorrect connections between say overflows and wastes, and incorrect storage cistern connections amongst others, can cause nasty contamination scenarios that have in the past caused outbreaks of fatal infectious diseases. Take any modern day location where water supply/sanitation and electrical supply are of a poor standard and compare the associated death rates. OK that is stretching the point a bit and it might be much harder to gain a sufficient understanding of electricity to handle it safely, but I don't like to write plumbers off like that. Especially as one of my mates is one.
One of my best mates is a pipe monkey, doesn't stop me ripping into him for picking an inferior trade though :)

Let's just put it like this:

Plumbers deal with 5h1t all the time. But it takes an electrician to make it flow up hill.

Do you tell them they should have stuck in school? That's what I tell the pipeys I work with

My brother is a plumber so I can't be too critical of the trade as it gave him something to concentrate on whilst he was getting off the drugs. When I think about what he's done in the past it brings a tear to my eye and i'm quite embarrassed about it......I wish he was back on the drugs....

I hope one day I reach the level of maturity as you lovely folk.

Go to college and get a 2357 or 2365 and it's possible one day you will

Sounds like your talking about the plumbing in some third world country.

Had a mate who was a plumber many years ago asked him to a job in a way that the pipework could be boxed in and part of the box was already fitted ended up with a mess and a lot of the pipes exposed he made an easy job look difficult. Learnt from that if you want the job doing right just do it yourself then you only have yourself to blame so do my own plumbing now

And you may have a better understanding of the job when you get on site

Says so much about you

Says nothing about me mate, nothing. I just couldn't be bothered to argue with someone who says nothing..

Thanks for all the replies. Good and bad. It's been a pleasure, gentlemen ;)

Don't try to defend the indefensible, you will never win the argument here, the good news is you have all the admins on your side so a pm to them or report a post to them saying anything about short courses or part P and you will end up a winner.

Started at first post then jumped to the end but you said about the plumbing and was told electrical can kill them you replied you do gas but plumbers must not do gas ! !so you have shot your self in the foot ,to me
I have seen to many diy electrics that cover from laughing to crying
There was an alarm engineer/ cowboy who charged people money to fit the alarm didn't have a clue(well a small one ) and just came on the forum and asked questions about how to do this and how to do that .he should have paid his customers for training at there houses
That's why I think this is an electricians forum and shouldn't have seen diy section myself

Instead of whingeing on an internet forum why don't you do something positive and go to college to learn how to do the job you want to do, like the rest of us did?

The City & Guilds 2393 ('Part P qualification') is meant for people who managed to get a job without any qualifications and were taught the trade on the job, but now need to satisfy the criteria for scheme membership; it's not meant for people to fast-track into the trade because they think they know it all already - most people in the position to give training on the job will only take someone on with no qualifications if they already know them.

I've already told you this and the training centre told you this, but you went ahead and did it anyway.

Instead of whingeing on an internet forum why don't you do something positive and go to college to learn how to do the job you want to do, like the rest of us did?

The City & Guilds 2393 ('Part P qualification') is meant for people who managed to get a job without any qualifications and were taught the trade on the job, but now need to satisfy the criteria for scheme membership; it's not meant for people to fast-track into the trade because they think they know it all already - most people in the position to give training on the job will only take someone on with no qualifications if they already know them.

I've already told you this and the training centre told you this, but you went ahead and did it anyway.
you deserved a thanks for that, brilliant reply :clap::clap::clap:

You didn't say you wanted words with my picture my apologies, here you go sir

demotivation.us_Are-you-always-this-stupid-Or-are-you-making-an-extra-effort-today_131370140227.jpg

Ssssh....... you promised you wouldn't tell!!!..............:ciappa:

Why aren't you out nicking lead or or copper or something to keep me in the manner to which I have become accustomed??

Don't forget to keep your eyes open for a couple of copper hot water tanks for me to make my Moonshine still. ;)

Reply to Happy Place in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net