Discuss health and safety at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

you need to see that in the 60's and 70's when Fred was at his peak, it was not possible to get 300ft cranes/telecsopic hoists etc. any where near those chimneys due to access difficulty. even if they could, the cost would have been prohibitive.
i have butter fingers so would not like to take my chances at those heights

im not even that afraid of heights, i just like somewhere to put my feet and not worry about falling back if i make a slippy slip, 30 ft of ladder is about my maximum though

he was obviously very good at his job, how many other steeplejacks have a t.v series, im just saying u wouldnt catch me up those ladders

ive abandoned jobs when the equipment has been substandard for purposes, 30ft ladder at full extension, reaching round to the side of a house to fit a spotlight, i was only in my 2nd year at the time and did not feel less than £7 an hour was worth the potential risk of the ladder slipping on the slabs below, the other guy would not have been able to stop it if it went, his attitude was slightly different as he was scared of telling the boss so he went up the ladder and i held it for him lol, funny thing is his brother worked at the same company and fell out of a tattie bucket on a manitou , the bucket fell from the forks and missed his head by inches...

---- happens even to the best of us

I would have loved to work with Fred on the chimneys, I have absolutely no interest now as the health and safety and paperwork that would be involved aren't worth the effort. I used to love climbing sports pitch lights to do repairs, climb on up, attach linemans belt at the top so you had both hands free, no harness or any of that. Not allowed to do that now...

Working on another site where everything was banned, step ladders, hop-ups, orange high viz jackets, you name it it was banned. Had to first fix using these useless podium things, wobbling about on their wheels, too wide to get where you needed so you had to overreach. We were told we had to use the chain that went across the top of the steps to stop us falling out, a nightmare when you only want to wack some clips in and move on. I forgot the chain was there, stepped back, and because the chain was so low it ended up tripping me backwards and I fell off the thing. An accident that wouldn't have happened had h+s kept their nose out and I had been using a step ladder.

On the same site 2 of us nearly fell down a stairway thanks to a 'safety' barrier. The barrier was heavy and constructed like a hurdle out of scaffold poles, the one on the floor we were working on had not been fixed. We were looking into the stairway for cable runs when we leaned on the barrier it tipped. Fortunately we were able to grab it, if it had tipped forward the base of the barrier would have hit us from behind and knocked us both down the open stairway. If the barrier was not there, we would not have been in a position to fall.

I have really good eye/face and hearing protectors, but the larger size means I can't wear them with a hard hat. Not being allowed to remove your hat indoors, I was forced to risk damage to my hearing and sight by wearing less protective eye and ear covers just to tick a bloody box. Fortunately all the work we are doing at the moment allows us to follow the guidelines of the HSE rather than some ----er in a site cabin, and use PPE that is appropriate for the task being carried out.

He even forced the BT chap to wire his DPs and phone points wearing building gloves...

On a similar health and safety mad site, one bloke cut his fingers off with a circular saw, and another fell out of a window and died. I stood back and watched the blokes working, and you can see they were so used to everything being super safe that when there was an unexpected hazard they were completely oblivious to the danger.

One lot of sites had none of that, but everyone working there was aware and acted accordingly. No accidents, no near misses.

Yes, I’ve had a few nipped fingers off them podium things! Usually when your having to move them or collapse them to get through a door.......although they tend to disappear off site when all the finished door frames are put in and carpets fitted, painting etc.....so step ladders are banned except when the buildings nearly completed and they don’t want things damaged by clumsy access equipment ?:mad:

usually the podiums only take you a foot off ground level, useless shits of things, robertson site agent tried to get me to use them, was safer and more practical to stand on top of the sprinkler pipework to fire in some of my cleats

farmer dumped a bale of hay behind my van yesterday, i couldnt see anything in my sideview mirrors so reversed straight into it, thought id hit a horse or something to start with as its a stable, should claim whiplash from the farmer

Watching him scaffold this chimney makes me shudder:

Thanks S, for this 'timeless' classic. If I remember correctly I was first introduced to Fred via Blue Peter in the late '70s or early '80s. I admired his 'northern' grit and determination then, I think that he among others has shaped my 'passion' for former ways of doing things!

Yours Aye

GB

i still think its a bit stupid regardless of how good he is at his job to have been up there on ladders when there is access equipment that would SHIRLEY be easier to work from and much safer

Id need to be paid with a planet twice the size of the sun just to tempt me to go up those ladders

Hey ... Elsparko ... and what would that access equipment be? Who is Shirley again?

Yours Aye

GB

Reply to health and safety at work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net