• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Hello, isolator switch help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello
My first post on my first job...
I have just installed an extractor fan. It was going to have a timer but the house wiring is confused: the switch and light are not connected directly, instead the cables go off under the floor boards and yet the switch is 50cm from the switch??
So the light and socket both have blue tape around the neutral wire indicating switch lives? My guess is there must be a junction box somewhere?
All of the test values were fine, until I opened the isolater switch. The value was below the 1 meg minimum, and a similar value from the extractor when switched off at the isolater. When switched on and working I get 0.48 ohms.
Should the extractor be connected to the pull cord instead of the ceiling rose, which only has a line and switchline.
Is it possible the isolater has a fault? It is a schlumberg which I thought reliable. Any and all help gratefully received

I know how it feels.

Would it be possible to see a photograph of the connections at the switch, light and fan isolator.

The fan has just two terminals: Line and Neutral. It is double insulated so the earth isn't used.

The Light is on the main board. The pull switch also has only one cable coming in. No connection to the light. I wish it did, I would have finished a day earlier and not had to plaster a section of ceiling. Not quite what I expected for my first job...

I keep reading your first post and really cannot grasp what you are getting at.
Apologies it is not ver clear. I carried out continuity testing at the isolater switch and extractor fan. When turned on it was fine. When the isolater was turned off it gave a reading. At all other parts of the circuit, when the power was off I got a reading greater than 19.99M Ohms as expected. After the isolater it dropped to less than 1M ohm.
Surely this reading should be higher?

The fan has just two terminals: Line and Neutral. It is double insulated so the earth isn't used.

The Light is on the main board. The pull switch also has only one cable coming in. No connection to the light. I wish it did, I would have finished a day earlier and not had to plaster a section of ceiling. Not quite what I expected for my first job...

I have posted a picture but it hasn't turned up yet??

Apologies it is not ver clear. I carried out continuity testing at the isolater switch and extractor fan. When turned on it was fine. When the isolater was turned off it gave a reading. At all other parts of the circuit, when the power was off I got a reading greater than 19.99M Ohms as expected. After the isolater it dropped to less than 1M ohm.
Surely this reading should be higher?
Continuity testing is carried out at the ohms scale not Mohm. Are you doing insulation resistance testing. As for the neutral wires having blue tape on them indicating switch live did you not test them to verify.

Reply to Hello, isolator switch help in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back