• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jrt

-
Reaction score
Hope someone can please help with strange (to me) issue

I turned lights in last night in my home & they came on & then went off. But all apart from 1 light downstairs in my house doesn't work. At first I thought fuse, but it's ok. The 1 light that stays on is on same fuse as the ones that won't. None are linked with same switch so none of the lounge, kitchen, dining room, hall or lower toilet are working. Any ideas on where to start to remedy ?

Thanks

Might seem a daft question, but how do you know all the lighting in your house is on the same circuit, the fuse you talk of, is it a fuse or a circuit breaker?

Hi JRT, and Welcome to the Forum !
Sorry to hear about your lights. You've mentioned fuses, in the 'fuse board' do you actually have fuses or are they the resettable circuit breakers?

Hey Jrt, welcome to the forum.
Apart from the checking of the lamps in the light fittings to see if they have all given up the ghost at the same time due to a surge or something else causing the issue, it sounds like it is down to good old fault finding with test equipment. You may need to set up some table lamps and call out an electrician with fault finding equipment and the knowledge to use it.
Where in the country are you, there may be someone on the forum close to you that will have the heads up on your problem.
Hope that helps

Chris, I'm intrigued to know what you are getting at.

Well I'm going off the assumption that's all the light are all off one circuit, maybe a feeds come loose if the light may have been knocked due to a loose connection? Seen it a few times in factory's where someone has banged something and dislodged a cable due to poor connections.

Well I'm going off the assumption that's all the light are all off one circuit, maybe a feeds come loose if the light may have been knocked due to a loose connection? Seen it a few times in factory's where someone has banged something and dislodged a cable due to poor connections.
Oh I see thanks

If some are on it seems the most obvious thing.
IF there is only 1 circuit probably true, but the OP hasn't come back with an answer to the question I asked, you know how lay people can sometimes get confused with things they don't understand that well.

Morning, thanks for all the comments. I have a switchbox (not breaker) that has fuses in it that has 5 fuses in it, 2 for lights (up/down) 2 for sockets (U/D) & 1 for the cooker. If I swap the fuses for lights, all still work upstairs so thats how I know fuses ok. The light that works is not closest to fuse box. FB is in a converted garage & the light in that room does not work, in fact, I would say only light that does work is furthest from the FB. Nearly all my lights downstairs are spotlights, I think maybe a loop issue somewhere ? PS: I am in the UK

If you are tempted to have a go yourself be VERY aware that the problem could be with the live OR The neutral ...... So what appears to be dead, could very well be live!

Could the issue come from a wall switch ? On the wall connecting my hall to my kitchen, I have wired switches both sides, so you can turn lights in kitchen on or off from either side of the wall. It was this switch I pressed when all apart from the 1 light went ou

Reply to Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back