Discuss Help on correct isolation switch. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aardvark

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I am not a electrician.
I wondered if anyone can help with identifying which isolation switch is required.
I have UK power networks coming January next year to install an upgrade of my electrics main cable. It will be a 95mm three phase cable. I have be told that I have to install a suitable isolation switch before the Ryfield distribution board and after their cut out. I I have been told that it should meet BS7671.

The power drawn will be 132kva.

Can anyone please give me some guidance. I do have a fully qualified electrician coming install it all, but I am buying all the necessary materials in order save on his time and so he doesn’t have to pay out.

Cheers

Ask your electrician what they want to fit.
the isolator may well be part of the distribution board.

Can anyone please give me some guidance. I do have a fully qualified electrician coming install it all, but I am buying all the necessary materials in order save on his time and so he doesn’t have to pay out.

You need to ask the electrician to specify what they want to install. We all have our own preference on what we like to fit.

The electrician will be able to advise on what they need as it will be more than just an isolator, you may also require spreader boxes, lugs, trunking, cable and all manner of other accessories.

You need to ask the electrician to specify what they want to install. We all have our own preference on what we like to fit.

The electrician will be able to advise on what they need as it will be more than just an isolator, you may also require spreader boxes, lugs, trunking, cable and all manner of other accessories.
Hi Dave, the Ryefield board and trunking and accessories are in place. The isolation switch is something UK Power Network has sprung on me. The manufacturer will likely to be a good brand.

Hi Dave, the Ryefield board and trunking and accessories are in place. The isolation switch is something UK Power Network has sprung on me. The manufacturer will likely to be a good brand.

The trunking will need altering to suit the main switch.

If you want a good brand then I personally would use Craig and Derricot gear for preference or else Schneider Quadbreak/MGF pattern

The main switch has been part of UK power networks standard requirements and drawings for tjsi tyoe of supply for may years, and any electrician will be able to tell you that an installation requires a main switch, so it's seems unlikely that this has really been sprung at the last minute.

Reply to Help on correct isolation switch. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net