Discuss Help pricing storage heater job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi been asked to quote for removing 4 storage heaters, and to include disposal of them, then replace with 4 new Dimplex storage heaters. I have sourced cheapest price for heaters, as she requires price of supply and fitting, but have never done priced for storage heaters before. I have checked old heaters and they don't have asbestos, Any advice on pricing of job would be greatly appreciated for removal, disposal and replacing 4 heaters thank you
heaters are 1x large 42inch length
2x medium 34inch length
1x small 22inch length

You probably realise that 99% of the job is dismantling stupidly heavy awkward items and carting them around, and the light relief at the end is connecting up 4 FCUs.
As this is lots of nasty physical work, and a pain for you to dispose, I'd happily quote a full day's work or more for this, and include that if the customer arranges their own council collection from outside you'll reduce to 1/2 day (about an hour per heater).

BTW just checking you know you can remove the bricks, front and back before trying to move the things! Hoover and dust sheets a must.

Bear in mind if you are disposing of the old heaters, you should have a waste carriers licence and will have to pay to dispose of them. And even if they don't contain asbestos, if the local tip thinks they might you are in for a lot of extra hassle, as you can't argue with them.

As Tim says, quote a very high price to include disposal, and a much lower one without disposal.

And don't forget that newer storage heaters need a peak and an off peak supply, to comply with Lot 20 requirements.
I've not encountered one of these yet. I assume the peak (normal) supply is needed to run a fan to dissipate hot air after the off peak period ends?
Would you run an extra circuit, or move the existing circuit to the peak supply, which automatically becomes off peak during E7 times? (assuming a dual rate meter)
Or does the heater need to 'know' when it's off peak. Sorry, lots of questions!

Yes there is a control panel and there are sensors for open windows etc, all of which need a 24 hour supply.
Some types of heater can operate as you suggest, by converting the off peak supply to a peak supply, and set an internal timer to operate the storage elements at the correct time.

Here's a page or 2 from a Dimplex Quantum installation manual:

Screenshot_20220129-102820_Drive.jpg

thank you all for the replies, i knew the hardest part would be removing all the bricks and disposing old heaters. The house also has no road access either so it would all have to be carried about 25m to nearest road pickup point. will take the great advice and do 3 quotes just taking down old heaters and installing new, 1 with me disposing of old heaters, 1 with hire of a mini skip. Thank you all again much appreciated guys

hippo bag if you stack the old bricks in the bottom neatly and lay the old heater frames on top should easily get 4 in there. £189

Supply and fit new heaters , I would charge the cost of the heaters + a full day to remove old and put up new x 4 heaters

I have just today finished a job removing 4 storage heaters for electric radiators
I am aching and knackered.I checked online with manufacturer they had no asbestos but still wore a respirator due to the dust and crap inside them.
easy enough to open up from screws at front, 2 bricks per rubble sack. after each heater take down stairs use sack truck and take to van. easy enough but by the third and fourth I was knackered. Pushing it I could have done all 4 in one day but would have struggled.
The metal bodies went to the metal ski pat the scrap yard, bricks treated as hardcore and disposed of at local waste transfer company. did two trips as I didnt want best part of half a tonne of loose bricks in back of the van!
Spent today moving the old off peak board to peak supply and fitting rcbos and bits of making good.
For what its it worth I no longer replace storage heaters anymore... decided that at 5pm tonight... much rather fit ev chargers!

In terms of pricing i charged two days labour plus materials

Quantums aren't the worst to fit. The 24h supplies required range from 400w-1300w (due to booster elements). The biggest (QM150) is a 2 man lift. If you're serious about the distance then I'd say a sack barrow or even a wheel barrow is essential as you're talking probably 30 packs of bricks (and that's without removing the old ones!).

Reply to Help pricing storage heater job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net