Discuss Help: Wiring up emergency lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to wire up emergency lighting, for some reason, this doesn't turn on at all, even when power is isolated it does not come on, so ive added pictures to see if wiring and everything is correct, tested to ensure there was power coming in when CB was on, and that there was none when it was off, any help appreciated, thanks.

Image.jpg

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

you need to put a link in between perm to switch live.
Not going to able to operate the light by doing what you suggest Buzz, via the absence of a switch, that is of course if the light is required to switch on and off, otherwise your suggestion is valid.

You should have
1 Permanent live
2 Switched Live
3 Neutral
4cpc
Coming to your EM fitting you only appear to have a twin and earth feeding the EM Fitting.
Where does that cable come from, and before any wise --- steps in I don't mean which Wholesaler

So remove the existing cable and run new cable with 3 core and earth? thanks, I think that the cable runs either straight to DB or to switch then to DB

So remove the existing cable and run new cable with 3 core and earth? thanks, I think that the cable runs either straight to DB or to switch then to DB
Buzz has posed a sensible suggestion, if your fitting is required to act as a normal light then you will need a SL via a light switch, if however the EM fitting is just that and is not needed for normal usage, and you are just experimenting, then do as Buzz suggests and link between L and SL.
Of course if this is an actual installation, a key switch should be provided to break the permanent Live to activate the lamp for testing purposes.

Last edited:
It is maintained but probably doesn't need a switch live just put a link across L and LS so it is permanently on. This does not resolve his issue however, is the charge indicator on and have you verified power at its terminals.

Have you definitely got 240v between incoming line and neutral? Is the fitting faulty?

Reply to Help: Wiring up emergency lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net