Discuss Help with 6 terminal Junction Box wiring! DIY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I hope this post finds you well. I have recently hired an local electrician to extend my living room lighting a few cm forwards. Long story short, he didn’t seem to know what he was doing and now my light is On even when I switch it off. I have attached my previous ceiling rose installation, with a diagram of the wiring he did on the new junction box with extension

My living room has two ceiling roses with 2 switches at the end of both sides of room that can turn them both on/off at the same time. I’m only extending one as seen in the pics below.

Can someone send me a diagram of the correct wiring of this junction box please

I do know my way ceiling roses as they are straight forward and fitted a few myself. I also have done electrical courses. And qualified Electric/gas meter engineer.

Kind regards,
Jaylen

Attachments

• 6598B215-4BF6-4E64-94F8-31FDC02D23C7.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 58373E11-B203-4454-B938-4E2D0A113B1B.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 98DC7D3A-399C-4A4E-88FA-18A27B46FA2C.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 58
  • 16BB6306-66EA-4EDD-A63B-4D04B3CC6400.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 8A99EF5E-2C76-4040-B01A-6E78390917CB.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 7D486147-10DC-4F2C-A892-DD65035F45E0.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 54
  • E7CB32CF-BFF4-48B1-90D3-6657F232C7BC.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Any joints in the ceiling should be made in a box, not just taped up.

I don’t know how an electrician couldn’t figure it out.

It needs someone with a simple two prong voltage detector and find out which brown is turning on and off with the switch.

Where about in England are you? (First two letters of postcode) Someone here might be close by for a look.

It's just the 3 plate method but using a jb instead of a ceiling rose. I guess you switch cable and mains are crossed over, and assuming normal t&e has been used you have the switched line in the wrong place. It's would be best to meter it out and start again. I doubt this was done by an electrician.

I pick up A LOT of work where an electrician / handyman has been in and messed about with the electrics and things either keep tripping or a light won't turn off or turn on etc etc

As much as I wish these handyman electrician types would leave electrics to the professionals , I wouldn't have much work if it wasn't putting right all their feck ups

They are a necessary evil in my world

In my experience, an artist's impression of wiring can leave out some essential details. It can often be what is believed to be in place but not really.

Best bet is to post a photo of the actual wiring to the junction box.

Thank you!

Reply to Help with 6 terminal Junction Box wiring! DIY in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net